HiSa Boundary Conditions

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

ssiemons

HiSa Boundary Conditions

Post by ssiemons »

Hi People!

I am trying to understand how to set up an HiSa simulation for compressible internal flow. In this effort I have gone back to the most simple case I can imagine: laminar pipe flow. Unfortunately, I cannot get this converged.

I think the issue is with setting the correct boundary conditions. From my experience with commercial packages, I have learned that a mass flow inlet and static pressure outlet boundary condition is a valid combination for compressible flow. I've read that the massFlow BC in OpenFOAM is a wrapper around the velocity boundary condition, so this approach might not be suitable here(?).

Attached is my test simulation:
Steady State
Pipe, Length = 10m, Diameter = 1m.
Gas = Air (default)
Pressure Outlet BC, static pressure = 100 Pa
massFlowInlet, m_dot = 9.34e-6 kg/s.

This should result in Reynolds number of approximately 1.

Just Mesh and Run it, no further edits are required.

Now, I don't think the issue is with HiSa or the installation. Either way here my setup:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Netherlands (en_NL)

The dependency checker is up-to-date (HiSa 1.1.4) and the tutorials from the HiSa source are all running. For those simulations a FreeStream BC was applied, but since I have internal flow I don't think this is applicable for me(?).

So my question is how to use HiSa together with FreeCAD? Should I avoid certain BCs? Should I edit files?

Sebastiaan
Attachments
PipeFlowHiSa.FCStd
(17.08 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
thschrader
Veteran

Re: HiSa Boundary Conditions

Post by thschrader »

ssiemons wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm ... and the tutorials from the HiSa source are all running.
Hi, welcome to the forum.
How can I run the tutorial? lets say basic finner
https://hisa.gitlab.io/archive/asc/basi ... inner.html

Rebuilding with the cfdof-wb?
ssiemons

Post by ssiemons »

Hi!

I downloaded the tutorial files here:
https://gitlab.com/hisa/hisa/-/tree/master/tutorials

You can open the blueCFD terminal and execute the runSim file in the 'basicFinner/simulation' dir.

The basicFinner is rather expensive simulation in core and memory, maybe try the nacaAirfoil instead.
ssiemons

Post by ssiemons »

Have you been able to test your HiSa built against one of their tutorials/examples?

Sebastiaan
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi ssiemons,

probably the basic question is whether HiSA is a suitable solver for internal compressible flow (piping, reactors, etc). I observe that all the examples provided by the developers are about flows that are external to bodies such as air foils.

Hopefully the developers can give a clue. Or perhaps other solvers would be recommendable?

Greetz,

Roland
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

ssiemons wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:44 pm Have you been able to test your HiSa built against one of their tutorials/examples?

Sebastiaan
airfoil tutorial runs in bluecfd console. A RAM-friendly case :D
But how can I see the results in paraview?
hisa_airfoil.JPG
hisa_airfoil.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
ssiemons

Post by ssiemons »

You should go one directory deeper to the simulation dir ;)
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

ssiemons wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 am You should go one directory deeper to the simulation dir ;)
Life can be so easy... :)
naca_high_mach.JPG
naca_high_mach.JPG (20.01 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Roland wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:03 pm Hi ssiemons,

probably the basic question is whether HiSA is a suitable solver for internal compressible flow (piping, reactors, etc). I observe that all the examples provided by the developers are about flows that are external to bodies such as air foils.

Hopefully the developers can give a clue. Or perhaps other solvers would be recommendable?

Greetz,

Roland
HiSA is a density-based solver, and as such suitable for the Mach number range of approximately 0.3 -> 5. If the majority of the flow is in that range, it shouldn't matter if you are looking at internal or external flow. That said, as you observe it has not been extensively tested with internal flow.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

ssiemons wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm So my question is how to use HiSa together with FreeCAD? Should I avoid certain BCs? Should I edit files?

Sebastiaan
If the Mach number is below 1 at the boundaries, any of the available boundary conditions should work. Otherwise, only the fixed velocity and fixed pressure inlet or ourlet is designed to account for a transonic situation (although they are not very well tested).

Sometimes it is a good idea to add a plenum chamber at a boundary so that a simpler, subsonic boundary condition can be used.