material preferences

A forum to discuss the implementation of a good Materials system in FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

material preferences

Post by bernd »

I would like to introduce some material preferences in FreeCAD. How is this done? Material module has no GUI workbench.

Mainly I would like to move the material directory preferences from FEM, see screen attached into materials and use it in the material editor here to have a smart choice between various material directories. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... py#L79-L89

bernd

see FreeCAD preferences, FEM, general ...

Screenshot_20180601_205538.png
Screenshot_20180601_205538.png (13.59 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
yorik
Founder

Re: material preferences

Post by yorik »

This looks good...
I would leave it in FEM fow now, then we can think of something better. Maybe both FEM and Arch could fire that page up?
I quite like the fact that the material module has no WB, so it is directly integrated in all workbenches that use it...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

yorik wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm ...FEM and Arch ...
Why is Part Design every time forgotten. Every part or body needs material properties too.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:59 pmWhy is Part Design every time forgotten. Every part or body needs material properties too.
It's not forgotten :) The Materials framework is very simple and made to work with the entire FreeCAD. It would just be a matter of implementing something in PartDesign. But I guess this requires some deeper discussion as how it should be implemented.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

a part can be alive without a material, but FEM without material is imposible! ATM we try to normalise material system between FEM and Arch which are there allready. Material in Part Design really needs some thinking first, since this is under FEM and Arch.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm This looks good...
I would leave it in FEM fow now, then we can think of something better. Maybe both FEM and Arch could fire that page up?
I quite like the fact that the material module has no WB, so it is directly integrated in all workbenches that use it...
My idea was to make a wb for the material module which has the material editor as tool and this page as pref. Mhh but we could go the other way around and use this page in arch and fem. No matter which way we gone itneeds a separate tab in prefs. I will move these prefs inside Fem in a separate tab and than we will see ...
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

bernd wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 pm
yorik wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm This looks good...
My idea was to make a wb for the material module which has the material editor as tool and this page as pref. Mhh but we could go the other way around and use this page in arch and fem. No matter which way we gone itneeds a separate tab in prefs. I will move these prefs inside Fem in a separate tab and than we will see ...
I like the idea of a material wb too. Path will need more material data in the future for setting feed/speed values on operations. A simpler material wb would be more intuitive than a set of features buried in FEM.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 pm No matter which way we gone itneeds a separate tab in prefs. I will move these prefs inside Fem in a separate tab and than we will see ...
git commit 05bee3aa1 and git commit 7c316ba0 ATM one needs to change the resource directories of the MaterialEditor in FEM pref.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 pm I like the idea of a material wb too. Path will need more material data in the future for setting feed/speed values on operations.
That means you will have totally different material properties than FEM needs (mainly Young's modulus and poisons ratio, ATM) ?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

bernd wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 pm
sliptonic wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 pm I like the idea of a material wb too. Path will need more material data in the future for setting feed/speed values on operations.
That means you will have totally different material properties than FEM needs (mainly Young's modulus and poisons ratio, ATM) ?
Yes, things like Brinell hardness that will factor into calculating material removal rate. But since I'm no where near needing that stuff yet, I was really just reacting to the UI discussion.