Test winner Freecad in a speed comparison: IFC geometry (no attributes) import to Revit and Archicad

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
thomas-neemann

Re: Test winner Freecad in a speed comparison: IFC geometry (no attributes) import to Revit and Archicad

Postby thomas-neemann » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:35 am

the title is ifc geometrty import. I have now added "no attributes".
yorik
Site Admin

Re: Test winner Freecad in a speed comparison: IFC geometry (no attributes) import to Revit and Archicad

Postby yorik » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am

In any case, this is a great topic and great test!
Indeed in most cases what is most directly important when opening an IFC file is the geometry. All the rest (attributes, etc) could come basically "on-demand".

That's basically the path I'm following with the multicore IFC importer. The speed gain over the normal IFC importer is already huge. If you run it without the GUI, it's even faster. My current preferred workflow is: 1) import an IFC file in no-GUI mode, 2) in a clean file, create Arch References to the main container/building of the file created in 1).

The objects created that way are non-parametric Arch components (although with all their IFC properties and materials). It's quite fast. I would like to go further that way, maybe somehow tie each object to its original IFC file and allow to "decompose" or make them editable (recreate the extrusion, etc..) later on? Still a lot to test/try there.

The 1) + 2) procedure above could also be condensed into some automatic tool...

The IFC explorer tool in the BIM workbench follows the mesh idea: It creates a mesh version of the model, which is quite fast, then you can choose which pieces to import individually.

In any case, those are many ways to reduce import time in a way or another.. Certainly we can do much better than revit/archicad!
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:00 pm

yorik wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am
thank you, your work is great
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:48 pm

yorik wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am
That's basically the path I'm following with the multicore IFC importer. The speed gain over the normal IFC importer is already huge. If you run it without the GUI, it's even faster. My current preferred workflow is: 1) import an IFC file in no-GUI mode, 2) in a clean file, create Arch References to the main container/building of the file created in 1).

The objects created that way are non-parametric Arch components (although with all their IFC properties and materials). It's quite fast. I would like to go further that way, maybe somehow tie each object to its original IFC file and allow to "decompose" or make them editable (recreate the extrusion, etc..) later on? Still a lot to test/try there.

The 1) + 2) procedure above could also be condensed into some automatic tool...
Shall we create a new topic dedicated to this + add to the IFC roadmap ?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:20 pm

freecad vs solidworks, freecad win

phpBB [video]
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:48 pm

archicad vs freecad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JySN7zO6ABE

Bildschirmfoto_2020-09-16_15-45-53.jpeg
Bildschirmfoto_2020-09-16_15-45-53.jpeg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 54 times