Installation of IfcOpenShell

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
paullee
Veteran

Re: Installation of IfcOpenShell

Post by paullee »

proghettolab wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:13 am AppImage + putting the ifcopenshell (for python 3.10 64bit Linux) directory with

Code: Select all

mv -t $HOME/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ ifcopenshell/
To my understanding, IFCopenshell should be built-in in the AppImage, it just work out-of-box for me on Fedora.
proghettolab

Post by proghettolab »

paullee wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:17 pm
proghettolab wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:13 am AppImage + putting the ifcopenshell (for python 3.10 64bit Linux) directory with

mv -t $HOME/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ ifcopenshell/
To my understanding, IFCopenshell should be built-in in the AppImage, it just work out-of-box for me on Fedora.
On Ubuntu 22.04.1 IfcOpenShell doesn't work automatically.
BIM Setup show that IfcOpenShell it is not installed.

pMB
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

proghettolab wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:58 am On Ubuntu 22.04.1 IfcOpenShell doesn't work automatically.
BIM Setup show that IfcOpenShell it is not installed.
@kunda1 Any idea ? Thanks.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think the blenderbim releases contain IfcOpenShell: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/releases There might be some symlinking/copying to do in order for FreeCAD to find the IfcOpenShell module (basically an ifcopenshell folder with an __init__.py and other files in it). That folder could for ex. be copied to .local/lib/python/site-packages or .local/share/FreeCAD/Mod, I think the AppImage can find modules there
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

IfcOpenShell in AppImage

looo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:11 pm https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... 55f02cd838

should be included in the next days.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Can someone check the snap 'edge' to see if it works as well ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Anyone can also can test and confirm if IfcOpenShell is contained in AppImage ?
paullee wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:50 pm IfcOpenShell in AppImage

looo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:11 pm https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... 55f02cd838

should be included in the next days.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Hello, I don't know if it possible to install ifcopenshell on a 0.20.1 Linux AppImage, as in this wiki page:

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/IfcOpenShell

Seems to say that is already installed with Appimages and conda packages.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
spiros

Post by spiros »

I am trying since yesterday to install IfcOpenshell and it's been quite a struggle. I am not a developer and i try to follow any possible scenario i understand it would work, following this thread and IfcOpenShell wiki mentioned at the first post and several forthcoming links. I use MX-AV linux 10 (buster). uname -r gives: 5.9.1-rt20av. freecad 0.20.1

First of all i tried to update my appimage version through the Properties-->appimage window, since i read that the recent appimage versions come with IfcOpenshell already installed. Although according to this my freecad version should have it installed also. Although i read the arguments that you should choose a version with the IfcOpenShell when installing somehow. Anyway, i receive an error after the new appimage has completed downloading saying: "Update failed for Freecad. The remote server requires authentication to serve the content, but the credentials provided were not accepted or given".

As a second attempt i try to install pip, since typing "import ifcopenshell" in the freecad's python console gives me:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCA05xlAq/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/shiboken2/files.dir/shibokensupport/feature.py", line 139, in _import
    return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ifcopenshell'
and i understand that i do not have it installed in the system. To install pip, firstly i type "

python -m ensurepip --upgrade
" in teminal which gives me:

ensurepip is disabled in Debian/Ubuntu for the system python.

Python modules For the system python are usually handled by dpkg and apt-get.

apt-get install python-<module name>

Install the python-pip package to use pip itself.  Using pip together
with the system python might have unexpected results for any system installed
module, so use it on your own risk, or make sure to only use it in virtual
environments.
So i understand that i am pushed by the system to install the pip package. So i follow the second advice of https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installation/ webpage and i download the get.pip.py script from the suggested repository and type in terminal:

python get-pip.py
where i get a reply sayong that my system cannot use python 3, so i should install another link of pip (given in terminal reply) which runs on python2. In the beggining i do it and i run it:

Defaulting to user installation because normal site-packages is not writeable
Collecting pip<21.0
  Downloading pip-20.3.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.5 MB)
     |████████████████████████████████| 1.5 MB 1.6 MB/s 
Collecting setuptools<45
  Downloading setuptools-44.1.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (583 kB)
     |████████████████████████████████| 583 kB 3.8 MB/s 
Collecting wheel
  Downloading wheel-0.37.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (35 kB)
Installing collected packages: pip, setuptools, wheel
I include this in my report because i also see py3 included and i am not sure what exactly is downloaded and if it should work. After i while i try to see how to download python3 thinking i don't have it, but looking around my system i understand that it might as well be installed.

Lastly i tried a method shown in blenderbim.org website, downloading a pre-built package and trying to follow the directions, where i downloaded the Python 3.10 "py310-linux64", since my freecad version uses Python 3.10.6 . But while i try to follow the direction i cannot get access to paste the unziped file to the suggested directory:

$ sudo cp -a /home/spiridonious/Downloads/ifcopenshell/. /tmp/.mount_FreeCA05xlAq/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/
[sudo] password for spiridonious: 
cp: failed to access '/tmp/.mount_FreeCA05xlAq/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/': Permission denied
So my purpose is to have installed IfcOpenShell as less painfully as possible. Would maybe some of the above mentioned work, doing something more appropriately that i do wrong and i do not understand? Would it work if i uninstall freecad totally and install a newer proper version with IfcOpenShell somehow already truly included?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

@spiros If you are using AppImage, no need tk separate to install IfcOpenshell.

Try in python console 'import ifcopenshell'.

Good luck.