Another IfcOpenShell thread

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
yorik
Founder

Re: Another IfcOpenShell thread

Post by yorik »

bernd wrote:Good idea. We will not catch all the different ifc dialekts, but we will catch if something is broken at all. Which could happen. importIFC is a huge code monster ...
Yes... Often it makes me want to recode it again. I'd really like to redo it in C++ too, the speed gain would be incredible, if we compare with the DXF. But that would mean have the IfcOpenShell source code in FreeCAD, which is not practical at all (it evolves too much and too fast), or having it available as a shared library on all platforms, which isn't there yet either. Better to stick with the python importer a bit more. Plus, it allows for much better experimentation.

Maybe that would actually be the response to the Arch/BIM naming issue too: Some day, we'll start a BIM workbench which will be a true hybrid C++/python workbench and which will use all the experience we gained with Arch...
bernd
Veteran

Re: Another IfcOpenShell thread

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:
bernd wrote:Good idea. We will not catch all the different ifc dialekts, but we will catch if something is broken at all. Which could happen. importIFC is a huge code monster ...
Yes... Often it makes me want to recode it again. I'd really like to redo it in C++ too, the speed gain would be incredible, if we compare with the DXF. But that would mean have the IfcOpenShell source code in FreeCAD, which is not practical at all (it evolves too much and too fast), or having it available as a shared library on all platforms, which isn't there yet either. Better to stick with the python importer a bit more. Plus, it allows for much better experimentation.
+1 and YEAH, lets continue to feed the monster for a while :)
yorik wrote:Maybe that would actually be the response to the Arch/BIM naming issue too: Some day, we'll start a BIM workbench which will be a true hybrid C++/python workbench and which will use all the experience we gained with Arch...
:D