ifc im-/export in freecad and import in DIALux

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
AndyYpsilon

ifc im-/export in freecad and import in DIALux

Post by AndyYpsilon »

Hallo freecad users,

I‘m just testing freecad (mainly because of the ifc export/import capabilities). It seems to be a very useful tool that I have to inspect more deeply.
As you probably suspect I have a problem regarding the ifc export within freecad (and importing to DIALux). I tested the import in DIALux with the simple “helloWall” file from this site http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/imple ... ello-world -> everything fine.
Next step was importing it in freecad -> ok
reexport as ifc file -> ok
import to DIALux -> not ok.

Because of importing the “native” helloWall file works I suspect that I have a problem with the freecad ifc export.
Does anybody have the DIALux Tool and can confirm that behavior? Maybe something went wrong with the ifcopenshell installation…
At the moment I can’t give you more details regarding the installed versions of freecad, ifcopenshell, python etc. but I will post them this evening.
Can somebody do a quick test with the linked file?
Thanks in advance.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: ifc im-/export in freecad and import in DIALux

Post by jmaustpc »

AndyYpsilon wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:45 am I‘m just testing freecad
Please start by posting your FreeCAD version data in the manner explain in the "Forum Rules" link above the Help forum.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You should look at what is inside your reexported IFC file, and what is it that dialux expects...
AndyYpsilon

Post by AndyYpsilon »

As announciates here are my version data:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

And the ifcopenshell Version from the exported ifc-file: 'IfcOpenShell 0.5.0-dev'

If somthing missing let me know it.

I allready looked at the two files (see attachment). I can only see that there are differences but I don't know whats wrong with the reexported file (if something is wrong). What I found regarding the DIALux expectaions of icf-files is http://evo.support-en.dial.de/support/s ... ifc-import
But I dont know what I'm doing wrong or what I have to do to fullfill the requirements.
Or is it a problem of my installation??
Do you have any suggestions?
Attachments
miniExample20080731_CoordView_SweptSolid.ifc
origunal file
(10.23 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
freecad_reexport.ifc
freecad reexported file
(9.62 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
AndyYpsilon

Post by AndyYpsilon »

Hello,

I've got some additional infos:
I imported the file house.ifc from the manual (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:BIM_modeling) -> ok, no errors reported
the I reexportet it as ifc file -> ok, no errors reported
the following Import of the reexported file (see attachment) isn't ok, the wall is missing and I get the following error:

Building relationships table...done.
Processing objects...
1 / 10 creating object # 21 : IfcSite (arch) no brep []
2 / 10 creating object # 22 : IfcBuilding (arch) no brep
3 / 10 creating object # 23 : IfcBuilding (arch) no brep
4 / 10 creating object # 380 : IfcWindow (arch) 48 k []
5 / 10 creating object # 381 : IfcBuildingStorey (arch) no brep
6 / 10 creating object # 438 : IfcColumn (arch) 3 k []
7 / 10 creating object # 572 : IfcDoor (arch) 19 k []
8 / 10 creating object # 625 : IfcColumn (arch) 3 k []
9 / 10 creating object # 793 : IfcWall (arch) 17 k invalid shape []
10 / 10 creating object # 1503 : IfcBuildingElementProxy (arch) 99 k [<Solid object at 00000000113CEA90>, <Solid object at 00000000113CBDD0>, <Solid object at 00000000113CCE10>, <Solid object at 00000000113CD7D0>, <Solid object at 00000000113CBF50>, <Solid object at 00000000113CDD10>]
Processing Struct relationships...done
Processing Arch relationships...adding 2 object(s) to Default Site
adding 8 object(s) to Default Building
done.
('Attempting to rebuild ', u'Wall006')
('Failed to rebuild a valid solid for object ', 'Wall006')
Finished importing.

So it seems to me that I is a problem with my system or my configuration. Can someone also do the test and tell me if it is working on his system, please?
Some more infos: I just found that I have two other python installations on my System, 3.4 and 3.7. Could this cause Problems?
And antother question: I read that I can Switch on the old python IFC importer in the Arch preferences Settings (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_IFC). I can't find this switch. Is it still availiable or is it outdated in the meantime?

Thanks!
Attachments
house_reexport.ifc
(75.6 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I am not an expert on ifc, Yorik is. However ifc functionality is new and still being developed, I think you likely need to be running the latest development version of FreeCAD to take advantage of the ifc advances being made currently.

As a general guide, you should always test any bug or issue in the most recently dev version where it is quite likely that your issue has already been fix and if not then at least that's where you have to go to get your bug fix.

On Ubuntu linux you can use the automatic system to keep it up to date from the daily ppa, but on Win you have to manually download it, but they run without needing to be installed.
AndyYpsilon

Post by AndyYpsilon »

Hello jmaustpc,

thanks for your reply.
I will try the latest freecad development version from this site:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comp ... e...master
Anything I have to pay attention to with the installation?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@AndyYplsilon you can try a 0.18_pre from here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

There have been a number of improvements to the IFC exporter recently so you might have some luck, but it is hard to know if any of them will please dialux any better. Indeed by comparing the files and looking at their doc page I don't see anything wrong that FreeCAD might be doing. And AFAICS other IFC apps take both files equally.

The problem is that it will be hard to know what's wrong if they don't give any message... Honestly I have no idea what to look for.
There is a users forum at http://dxboard.dialux.com/ it might be worth, if you have the patience, to post the freecad-generated IFC file there, maybe someone can help telling us what is wrong, so we could fix it.
AndyYpsilon

Post by AndyYpsilon »

Hello yorik,

thx for your reply.
Unfortunately it is the same behavior with the latest 0.18 version.
As you already said Dialux gives no useful error massage. But to be fair they say the ifc importer is only a beta version.
I already contacted their support but they mentioned the beta issue. We will see if they can give me more info regarding the problem...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ok. If you happen to discuss about this on the dialux forum, please post the url here, so people coming here can go there too, this can only help to make the matter go forward ;)