IFC files from structural engineering software CSI ETABS

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
ebrahim raeyat

Re: IFC files from structural engineering software CSI ETABS

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:40 pm In an strutural analysis model of an engineer in any case the members are connected. But they are not !!! Have a look at the picture no column is connected to the slab! Is there some preference in ETAB to connect the columns to the slab for the exported IFC?
Very Thanks. It seems also beams not connected to the slab. it seems it not draw center to center of any column or beam at all.
etabs don't have any further options for this.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Etabs also export point and line loads to IFC, is FreeCAD capable to show those?
thanks alot.
ebrahim raeyat

Re: BIM module development / enhancement

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

yorik wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:39 pm That's interesting. To create the arch model, etabs apparently just "extrudes" the analytic lines. You can see that objects are not well joined. We could do a far better job in freecad...
Thanks. Of course. but i have some question:
1- all length seems set to default in properties panel and when i change those, nothing happens in 3D view.
2- Is FreeCAD capable to show point, line and surface loads at present? I mean is imported from IFC.
3- what about boundary condition?

Thanks a lot.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:36 pm 1- all length seems set to default in properties panel and when i change those, nothing happens in 3D view.
When an arch structure is based on a profile shape, Length and Width properties are not used. We should of course fix that at some point (set them automatically from the profile)...

Questions 2 and 3 Bernd will know better. But can these be defined inside an IFC file??
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

yorik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 pm Questions 2 and 3 Bernd will know better. But can these be defined inside an IFC file??
Thanks @yorik.

Yes, etabs export loads to IFC and for example this is entry point in IFC file:

Code: Select all

#512=IFCSTRUCTURALLOADSINGLEFORCE($,$,$,-8.0000000E+003,$,$,$);
#513=IFCSTRUCTURALLOADSINGLEFORCE($,$,$,-2.3000000E+003,$,$,$);
ifc.png
ifc.png (19.4 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

structural analysis view can hold boundary conditions, as well as loads and load combinations. But only entities with geometric representation are imported, but no attributes are imported, only the geometry. It is on my long term TODO ...
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 pm structural analysis view can hold boundary conditions, as well as loads and load combinations. But only entities with geometric representation are imported, but no attributes are imported, only the geometry. It is on my long term TODO ...
Thanks @bernd. I also very interesting in this new field area. BIM model. if you plane to do something I can intercommunicate.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

great i'll let you know as soon as I start somthing in this regard.

BTW: It would be not a bad idea to get in contact with support of ETABS because of their rubbisch structural ifc. They are not usable at all. The members need to be connected to use the data in another software. All other structural engineering software I know do connect the members in structural analysis view export.

Only some CAD system are not capable of connecting the members in structural analysis view export, because they do not know the stuctural nodes and structural faces of the volume elements. AKA allplan

bernd
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:05 am great i'll let you know as soon as I start somthing in this regard.

BTW: It would be not a bad idea to get in contact with support of ETABS because of their rubbisch structural ifc. They are not usable at all. The members need to be connected to use the data in another software. All other structural engineering software I know do connect the members in structural analysis view export.
Thanks. Etabs has a bug for about 5 years and many engineers contact with them, but still that bug is present in Etabs 2017!! I have been write a program that correct that bug and further options and it uses frequently in iran. I think XCFEM is the solution!
sections.png
sections.png (202.28 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@ebrahim:

would it be possible to send a more simpler structural ifc from ETAB. May be just only one face and four columns (like a table), or even better one slab two columns and one wall.

cheers bernd