BIM - New IfcPropertySet possible?

Post by vcfbauplusfe »

Hi BIM addicts ;-) out there,

after I built my own WIN 10 FC 0.17 and 0.18 pre I now play around with
the BIM module / workbench.

I created a simple small "wall-cube", exported IFC, explored ASCII IFC file and
BIM VISION info to be found.

My questions:

Are all IFC2x3 classes implemented in FC or only a subset of them?

Is there any possibilty to add new IfcPropertySet (maybe with IfcPropertySingleValue
and IfcPropertyEnumeratedValue and whetever else would be sensefull?)

If so - is there any easy test example for a such added IfcPropertySet available?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Have a nice day all - Volker
yorik
Founder

Re: BIM - New IfcPropertySet possible?

Post by yorik »

vcfbauplusfe wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 am Are all IFC2x3 classes implemented in FC or only a subset of them?
FreeCAD uses ifcopenshell to perform IFC import and export. All IFC2x3 and IFC4 classes are supported by ifcopenshell (not yet IFC4-1 and IFC4-2 I think but there's an issue open for that on the ifcopenshell github) so yes, basically FreeCAD can use any of them
vcfbauplusfe wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 am Is there any possibilty to add new IfcPropertySet (maybe with IfcPropertySingleValue
and IfcPropertyEnumeratedValue and whetever else would be sensefull?)
Right now in 0.18, you can add any single property or property set to any object, via the BIM WB's Ifc Elements Manager or from the task panel of any bim object. There is no support for enumerated values yet, though, only texts and numbers.

This is all preliminary of course, giving ifc properties to objects one by one is tedious, we need something more powerful to allow bulk management.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

moved to ifc

+1 to yoriks post.

Furthermore we would need some gui to filter selection and visibility of objects by attributes. I have started a few times but gave up every time ... Qt and pyside is not what I am very good at.

bernd
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Another thing I had been thinking, but still didn't implement it: The proper way to add, for example, standard beam property set to all the beams of your project, you actually need to add the set to each and every beam. We could use materials for that. That is, allow materials to hold ifc properties, just like any bim object. On ifc export, the properties of the material would be saved separately then attributed to each and every object that uses that material.

Of course that won't solve all the problem. Ex. When adding standard wall properties, one of the properties is Load Bearing, to be true or false. This should still be set for each wall separately. Or use two identical materials, one load bearing and one not, but that's not exactly the role of a material...

Definitely we need some bulk management interface :)