Export structural analysis data to IFC

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
Tandy

Export structural analysis data to IFC

Post by Tandy »

Sir,
Till now i created a model in different BIM software like Revit,Bentley staadpro, aecosim, Robot structural analysis Autodesk , Tekla structures , Scia engineering etc and FreeCAD also.

The model is verified and analysed but the IFC file exported from these software doesnot contain analysis data like loading,bending,moments,Reactions data etc.

I Study buildingSmart entities and find that ifc 2x3 and ifc4 have structural analysis entites but they are not Exported by any of BIM software till date .as i am checking and working on this problem from last 5 month. I need help in this work...
Any help or solutions or any suggestions???
Tandeep singh
yorik
Founder

Re: Export structural analysis data to IFC

Post by yorik »

Indeed as far a I know no bim modeling application will produce analysis ifc files.
At some point we will surely have that in freecad, but there is still a long way to go before, as at the moment there is no support for such analysis data.
Tandy

Post by Tandy »

yorik wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 pm Indeed as far a I know no bim modeling application will produce analysis ifc files.
At some point we will surely have that in freecad, but there is still a long way to go before, as at the moment there is no support for such analysis data.
Can we add some main entities like ifcstructuralload,ifcstructuralloadgroup,ifcstructuralanalysismodel,IFCSTRUCTURALPOINTCONNECTION
if we add this we can easily view and export/import loading in IFC,
Tandeep singh
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

Tandy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:06 am Can we add some main entities like ifcstructuralload,ifcstructuralloadgroup,ifcstructuralanalysismodel,IFCSTRUCTURALPOINTCONNECTION
if we add this we can easily view and export/import loading in IFC,
As FEM workbench allow loading, so I can say FreeCAD support such data (Request more knowledge to vet it or correct it)

Even if FreeCAD does not support it all, you has liberty do enhance FreeCAD to do so.

Then you need to amend importIFC.py

Another software which will play an important role is "ifcopenshell".

Fortunately, following file contain such terms, which suggest ifcopenshell support what you need.

https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpen ... c2x3enum.h

Investigate and report.
--
H.S.Rai
Tandy

Post by Tandy »

yorik wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 pm Indeed as far a I know no bim modeling application will produce analysis ifc files.
Sir
We are willing to run on looooong way, and if you can
point some pointer / direction, then we can make FreeCAD 1st among Free/Open Source Software and Proprietary BIM software to have "Structural Analysis" data
which export and import to/from IFC.
Tandeep singh
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

hardeeprai wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:53 pm As FEM workbench allow loading, so I can say FreeCAD support such data (Request more knowledge to vet it or correct it)
Hmm you are right.. I was forgetting about this
Tandy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:14 pm We are willing to run on looooong way
Great! I guess then a first step would be to try to play with the structural settings in Edit -> Preferences -> Import/Export -> IFC and try to import a few IFC files that contain structural entities, and see what currently works in FreeCAD and what doesn't. Then, make a list of properties that such objects should have in FreeCAD and how that would translate to IFC. Then I guess we will already have a pretty good picture of what should be done..
Tandy

Post by Tandy »

yorik wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm Great! I guess then a first step would be to try to play with the structural settings in Edit -> Preferences -> Import/Export -> IFC and try to import a few IFC files that contain structural entities, and see what currently works in FreeCAD and what doesn't. Then, make a list of properties that such objects should have in FreeCAD and how that would translate to IFC. Then I guess we will already have a pretty good picture of what should be done..

As per your guidance i tried many imports of IFC having structural entities,
Till now only reinforcement bars are imported/exported in freeCAD ,
I tried files having structural entities like
IFCSTRUCTURALANALYSISMODEL, IFCSTRUCTURALPOINTCONNECTION, IFCSTRUCTURALLOADGROUP, IFCSTRUCTURALLOADCASE, IFCSTRUCTURALLOADSINGLEFORCE
none of these are supported by FreeCAD import tool.
all these entites are decribed by buildingsmart .
http://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/ ... /TC1/HTML/
Last edited by Tandy on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tandeep singh
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Great. Reading from http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/I ... smodel.htm :
The IfcStructuralAnalysisModel is used to assemble all information needed to represent a structural analysis model. It encompasses certain general properties (such as analysis type), references to all contained structural members, structural supports or connections, as well as loads and the respective load results.
So it is basically a group-like entity, which contains 1) the geometry objects, 2) loads, 3) additional info

I think it maps pretty closely to a FEM analysis object... On opening an IFC file containing an IfcStructuralAnalysisModel, we could create a FEM analysis. the problem I see is that the FEM forces need base objects & faces to be applied to, it will be hard to map these... But I never tried with 1D elements like in ifc analysis curves...

Maybe @bernd will have more insights?

I'm moving this thread to the IFC section.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

import of gemetric structural analysis member is supported. You need to activate it in preferences.

Export has been on my TODO for years. At least the Arch Structural Axis objects. Would be a good GSoC project. Are you interested?

BTW. Tekla and Allplan are CAD with structural analysis support.

I somehow missed this topic ...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

the cool on structural analysis view is forces are mapped to geometric entities same as in fem, but these entities are faces, edges and vertexes an do not map to the architectural entities which are volumes.