Error report IFC

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
hlg

Re: Error report IFC

Post by hlg »

I investigated some more. It seems that 4-byte unicode is not correctly handled by certain applications although perfectly valid according to the standard. Some Unicode encodings are variable length and then you would use the shortest length necessary, i.e. not pad with leading zeros. But ISO10303-21 does not explicitely mention such requirement (only for 1-byte unicode), thus 4-byte throughout should be perfectly valid. I saw that Thomas made a fix to use 2-byte encoding where possible in IfcOpenShell. Should make it into FreeCAD once there is a reasonably stable IfcOpenShell release. The codepoints above 0xFFFF are only for symbols of rare and ancient languages as well as additional graphical symbols. They will rarely occur in real world scenarios, unless someone desperately wants to put 0x1D11E for 𝄞 in their company name or something like that.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Just for my understanding. If I would use bleeding edge 0.6 ifcopenshell the problem should be gone?

bernd
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In any case, IfcOpenshell package is totally independent from FreeCAD. It is just bundled together with the windows installer for convenience... for now. I hope in the future IfcOpenShell becomes such an important piece of software that it will be easily available everywhere and we won't need to bundle it anymore ;)

In any case yes, it seems solved with IfcOpenShell 0.6? Everything looks normal to me...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 pm In any case, IfcOpenshell package is totally independent from FreeCAD. It is just bundled together with the windows installer for convenience... for now. I hope in the future IfcOpenShell becomes such an important piece of software that it will be easily available everywhere and we won't need to bundle it anymore ;)

In any case yes, it seems solved with IfcOpenShell 0.6? Everything looks normal to me...
Well said. I will work on an upgrade for the Win 0.19 bundle :)
"fight the good fight"