New OSArch Wiki for open-source architecture workflows

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
Moult

New OSArch Wiki for open-source architecture workflows

Post by Moult »

Just wanted to share with everyone that a while back, because one didn't exist, Dimitar (who owns the domain) and I (set up the server) set up https://community.osarch.org/ - a forum to talk around doing AEC with 100% free software - this spans across a few communities, like FreeCAD, Blender, buildingSMART IFC, BCF, and the open source BIM collective.

I've just set up https://wiki.osarch.org/ - still very new, but I've started hosting articles like a simple IFC guide without all of the technical mumbo jumbo, as well as best practices of getting openbim data out of Revit, and some of the MicroMVD setups I'm implementing on projects at work.

.. and of course, one of my favourite pages so far, which show that free software has a very strong foundation :) https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... _directory

Enjoy :)
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
carlopav
Veteran

Re: New OSArch Wiki for open-source architecture workflows

Post by carlopav »

Nice!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks Sharing !

Anybody can share a full workflow from sketching to production documentation, facility management etc.?

BTW, I tried to find an open source editor for pdf but seem not really available ?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

paullee wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am BTW, I tried to find an open source editor for pdf but seem not really available ?
For small changes in pdf drawings (if I only have the pdf) I use inkscape. Works great. At work we have proprietary blue beam license which is a great tool for fast and simple to create vector graphics based on pdf. I muss such tool as open source.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

paullee wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am ...
BTW, I tried to find an open source editor for pdf but seem not really available ?
PDF is not meant to be editable in general. It's more like a sharing format than an editable one. Pure PDF is supposed to be text only, so it could be edited with a text editor, but more often than not it contains binary data that cannot be edited, unless you use something like a hex editor.

But usually you can convert PDFs to SVG or something like that and it works quite well.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Moult

Post by Moult »

I am not aware of anybody who has achieved a full workflow from sketching to production using pure free software for any project that is of a significant size (i.e. an entire house, or larger). Even for a small house, fabricators use extremely proprietary CAM software for steel or wood. As for facility management, sensors, IoT, free software is underrepresented. That said, Yorik seems to be doing quite well, and I am also using free software for various aspects in the chain, and so are many others.

If you're looking for PDF annotation, tools like Okular or mupdf can do this ... for editing, Inkscape is the only one I'm aware of.

The most important tools from my experience in practice in a PDF viewer are:

- Creating labels - arrows pointing at things and text labeling things
- Drawing polylines and rectangles
- Taking scale measurements both lengths and areas, with the ability to calibrate
- To overlay / compare two PDF pages

Free software PDF viewers can do the first two, I haven't seen the third, and the fourth can be done using scripts or GIMP, but it isn't "one-click" friendly.
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Moult wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:05 am I am not aware of anybody who has achieved a full workflow from sketching to production using pure free software for any project that is of a significant size (i.e. an entire house, or larger)...
You can build a house of reinforced concrete with no software at all. What you are talking about applies to jurisdictions with extremely tight regulations like Switzerland and the like.

Real men can build houses with their own hands; you just need a couple of experienced construction workers who know how to set the steel and pour concrete and that's it. It may take a while, but most people in developing countries aren't designing a house like a bridge or to withstand earthquakes.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

paullee wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Libre Draw (libreoffice) can edit PDF.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

bernd wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:11 pm
paullee wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am BTW, I tried to find an open source editor for pdf but seem not really available ?
For small changes in pdf drawings (if I only have the pdf) I use inkscape. Works great. At work we have proprietary blue beam license which is a great tool for fast and simple to create vector graphics based on pdf. I muss such tool as open source.
Thanks for the hint. See Inkscape can't handle pdf showing architectural layout - when there are a lot volume of lines etc ?

It seem like tens of minute Inkscape is attempting to open a file but haven't finished... and it seem does not handle multi-page pdf to my memory ...

BTW, what does it means by 'blue beam license' ?

Thanks.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

bitacovir wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:38 am
paullee wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Libre Draw (libreoffice) can edit PDF.
Thanks, I remember trying to open a pdf with architectural layouts in Inkscape and Libre Draw. To my memory, not very good result....

Just thinking if FreeCAD/TechDraw output basic plans, sections and elevations of a model, with as much as possible annotation TechDraw can add / handle, what oss is better or peoples are using for 'post-possessing' the actual drawings to e.g. the standards of a professional construction drawings?

Hmmm... maybe @Yorik has some working solution?