IFC export of a link object based on an arch object

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
DDM

Re: IFC export of a link object based on an arch object

Post by DDM »

I started some tests to export link objcets to an IFC file...

Here attached a beam created with the assembly4 workbench (it uses link objects)...

The assembly is created from two file, one for the HEA200 and one for the end plates. The assembly (TR001) uses LCS to arrange the elements.

I tried two ways:

1) create a structure element in the file "Assembly4_HEA200+PLT_200x180" based on the TR001
2) create a link object of the TR001 (this is a link of the assembly) in an external file and then a structure element based on a link

For 1) and 2) ways, I see that when I create the structure element the object turns to black and I can't change the color from the view properties...How can I do?

I exported the structure element in an IFC file and I can see the element in a BIM viewer (BIM Vision), but when I try to re-import the IFC file in freecad I don't see the object...Are there some parameters to set in the import preferences?...

I hope I was clear...
Thanks for your help,

Marco

Details of the files:
1) Beam_ifc.ifc: file exported frim FC
2) TR_HEA200.FCStd: HEA200 beam (the extrusion is in a part container)
3) PLT_200x180.FCStd: end plates (the extrusion is in a part container)
4) Assembly4_HEA200+PLT_200x180.FCStd: Beam TR001 assembled with LCS
5) IFC_View.png: Screenshot from the BIM viewer

FC Info
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20052 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6291921e9abe737e4440ff5814ca58547defadef
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Attachments
Beam_IFC.ifc
(30.65 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
IFC_View.PNG
IFC_View.PNG (78.79 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
TR_HEA200.FCStd
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
PLT_200x180.FCStd
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Assembly4_HEA200+PLT_200x180.FCStd
(21.32 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
DDM

Post by DDM »

Here what I see when I create a structure based on an assembly or a link object...

Thanks, Marco
Attachments
Structure_On_Assembly4.PNG
Structure_On_Assembly4.PNG (161.17 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

As of git commit 659d573d3 App::Parts can now be exported to IFC (they export as IfcElementAssembly)
Szzer

Post by Szzer »

I'm designing a house, with the modelling in freecad being heavily dependend on the app:link structure. This to speed up modelling (the modelling does not slow as much as the detail level grows).

At the moment I use a link to a part container (see my showcase topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50330) as the container for linking to the main assembly. I'm in the process of making it more IFC friendly, by starting to use the arch objects more and more (partcontainer seems not very IFC friendly as I understand).

Just as the starter of this topic, I would love to be able to export an app:link to an arch object using the ifc format. for example an link to an staircase or window to export to the IFC format as if linked object is in the main file (and thus the link would be considered non-existant for the IFC format). This would allow a quick editable file, no matter how big the (office) building becomes. while also being able to export the whole building to the IFC format.

I don't want to press anybody in adding the feature asap, just expressing how it could help in my particular workflow