Building Part grid not freely editable in IFC import file

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
JellyPalm

Building Part grid not freely editable in IFC import file

Post by JellyPalm »

Hiya,

I Imported an IFC file and have added a BuildingPart in Arch to work as a floor level.

(My original Model is here , at bottom https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=51337)

If I DBL Mouse Click on the BPart in the tree I can see that its grid is coincident with the default grid.

However in the Placement Property of the BPart, the Z axis can only be adjusted using the <> arrows, i.e. mm at a time.
I need to move it several meters, so this is too tedious.

I managed to hijack the Python Code to manually edit it to 2000mm, and the BPart Grid moved 2m, so there shouldn't be an issue with the BuildingPart property being directly editable in the Combo View I feel.

is this a bug or intended ?

cheers.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22474 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a44f8ffd427fa9b23b1f00dbf62d66cd152cd774
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Building Part grid not freely editable in IFC import file

Post by Roy_043 »

I can't reproduce this. The model you point to does not have a BuildingPart. Please post a new file for testing.
JellyPalm

Post by JellyPalm »

Hi Roy,

Sorry, thought I had posted another model.
This one is Too Big to post, apparently (5MB).
ANYWAY, I can't reproduce this effect either (tried again for last 40 mins).
You will have to take my word for it - but maybe it was a self-resolving glitch.. :o .

However while you are there, there are two other related issues I noticed:

1. Crash Behaviour: Using the same ex-IFC model: when I select any BuildingPart and go to the Properties / Data tab and then try and open the Placement field (...), I get this message in the REPORT View
aaaa.PNG
aaaa.PNG (30.56 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
then then this:
aaaAFTER.PNG
aaaAFTER.PNG (234.58 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
If I persist the program crashes. I haven't noticed this error previously.
Any idea what the message might mean and how to track the failed-parts in question down?

2. Multiple Instance Object Behaviour: If I create an Arch drawing (Rectangle008, say) then make it into a structure (Structure010, say) then make that into an Array (Array003), then the order in the Tree is ARRAY-Structure-Rectangle, as expected - and I can drag and drop this WHOLE into a Building Part (LVL WORK-Wall) OK and it retains this form. Cool.

However if I create the rectangle (Rectangle 005) and drag that into the Building Part (LVL WORK-Platform and then create the structure (Structure006) then I get a duplicated rectangle, and if I drag the structure into the Building Part (LVL WORK_Platform) and then create my Array (Array) then I get a duplicate Structure (006) too, and these all show up as separate instances in the model. Requiring lots of toggling off.
duplicates.PNG
duplicates.PNG (199.19 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Is there a switch to suppress this duplication?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

JellyPalm wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 am 1. Crash Behaviour
Without a file it is hard to help you. It is not an issue that occurs with all BuildingParts.

JellyPalm wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 am 2. Multiple Instance Object Behaviour
Confirmed. You can fix this by dragging the rectangle and the structure directly nested in the BP out of the BP and dropping them on the top (document) node in the tree.
JellyPalm

Post by JellyPalm »

That Works good....as usual - :D

but where do they go? :?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The trick removes the duplicate entries in the tree, there were never duplicate objects.