IFCStructuralCurveMember axis component: how it works?

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
Moult

Re: IFCStructuralCurveMember axis component: how it works?

Post by Moult »

Currently structural model is completely separate to non-structural (e.g. architecture) model. It is still very early development unfortunately.
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Ahh ok, than FreeCAD and BlenderBIM ATM do have totally different workflows ... Just to make sure we all do understand what every software does ATM.

Implementations are highly experimental in FreeCAD and BlenderBIM. There is a lot going on here, thus this might change ...

BlenderBIM:
- Gemetric model and structural analysis model are not connected at all.
- It is possible to import a structural analysis ifc, edit it and export it back to structural analysis view
- There is some smartness on editing structural analysis geometry, as the axis property and the profile and ??? (moult is needed for this!)

FreeCAD:
- Geometric modell is connected with the structural analysis model in FreeCAD.
- Geometric model (if Arch Objects are used) has structural nodes.
- These nodes could be edited independent from the geometric model (important to move them together in a joint)
- The structural nodes and their connection lines could be exported to ifcstructuralanalysis view.
- This includes faces as well (thanks to balbros recent commit)

- A structural analysis ifc file can be imported into FreeCAD, but these are just "stupid" geometries.
- It is possible to import a structural analysis ifc, edit it and export it back to structural analysis view.
- But no smartness is possible on editing. Just the pure line geometry is exported (AFAIK, balbros could you jump in and help?)

cheers bernd
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

bernd wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:00 am FreeCAD:
- Geometric model (if Arch Objects are used) has structural nodes.
This is true except for walls ... but I think @Yorik is working on it.
bernd wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:00 am FreeCAD:
- This includes faces as well (thanks to balbros recent commit)
Kind of ... for slabs contour lines are transformed into StructuralCurveMembers which don't have Material and Profile informations.

Actually I'm trying to find a way to improve the structural IFC export from FreeCad.
Therefore I'm studying some magnificent work done by the IfcOpenshell folks, in particular a class named CA2IFC made to convert Code-Aster files to IFC.
I think that adapting the code it would be possible to at least export slabs and simple beams/columns with their materials and geometric informations.
Unfortunatelly my learning progress takes some time :? I will come back here when there are news.

Cheers