FreeCAD 18.1/Ubuntu 18.04.2. LTS: no workbenches after install

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 18.1/Ubuntu 18.04.2. LTS: no workbenches after install

Post by kkremitzki »

The problem is that /usr/lib/freecad/Mod is a system-managed location, so modifying it yourself can break the system's ability to manage it. The place you should put such files is ~/.FreeCAD/Mod, so if you have anything you want in the /usr/lib/freecad/Mod location, move it to ~/.FreeCAD/Mod.

Since your system is in a semi-broken state, I think the best thing to do is to clear things out completely. Run

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge -y \*freecad\*
which should get rid of every FreeCAD package you have.

Then just to make sure everything's completely gone run

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /usr/share/freecad && sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/freecad
Then install freecad again.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you want a complete reset, then you have to delete the config files in ~/.FreeCAD too. They may contain the wrong path to the macros folder.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
spiros

Post by spiros »

thank you for your replies,

I created a directory ~/.FreeCAD/Mod and copy pasted there the extra workbenches i had. Then i executed the commands you suggested kkremitzki, so now i have no freecad icon to run the program through. Now in ~/.FreeCAD, except the Mod folder, i have 13 more files:
dxfColorMap.py
dxfColorMap.pyc
dxfImportObjects.py
dxfImportObjects.pyc
dxfLibrary.py
dxfLibrary.pyc
dxfReader.py
dxfReader.pyc
export bom.FCMacro
export macre.FCMacro
system.cfg
test.FCMacro
user.cfg

Should i delete "system.cfg" and "user.cfg" as well in order to be sure i will have a successful install? Should i delete more of them as well?
Can i complete the new install through synaptic (which gives the 2:0.18.1 +dfsg1) or it would be anyway better if i download the "Applimage" from the freecad web download page and install this?
As far as i understand the doc file availiable is for the previous version and it have may even caused some issues to some users, so it would better be left uninstalled.
Also by choosing to install freecad through synaptic, i also get marked for installation the python 3 files, but the python 2 remain unchosen. Would i need python 2 for any reason or should i leave them also uninstalled?

Furthermore, i have a warning at terminal, after the [sudo apt purge -y \*freecad\*] command which is:
dpkg: warning: while removing freecad-runtime, directory '/usr/lib/freecad/Mod' not empty so not removed
Nevertheless i lookd in /usr/lib and i do not seem to have a freecad folder anymore. Probably [sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/freecad] did it.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Go ahead and install from synaptic. Unless you want Python 2 still, you don't need to include that.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
spiros

Post by spiros »

So from synaptic it will be.
Should i delete anything form the ~/.FreeCAD directory, or is it ok if all of the files mentioned above stay as they are?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Go ahead and install it and then see if it works, as of now we have no information to suggest it's necessary to do further deletion.
spiros

Post by spiros »

yep. the synaptic install worked just fine. Now i have freecad 0.18.1 with what looks like the default 26 workbenches (they seem to be more than the previous version ones). Thank you kkremitzki!

My main issue has been solved, since i am able to work with the main workbenches again, but the extras i had were also useful. The workbenches i have saved in ~/.FreeCad/Mod are not included in the workbenches list. Would there be a proper way to include them in my FreeCad built? I see the Tools -> Addons manager window, which already contains two of the ones i was working with, fasteners and drawing dimensioning. All the files in ~/.FreeCad/Mod are still in place, including the folder of these two workbenches. Would the correct way be to delete these two folders and install again from the addons window?
I was also working with the "info" workbench, which does not appear in the addons list. At it's Macro_ObjectInfo wiki page, it suggests to create a folder and name it "info", inside the ~/.FreeCad/Mod directory and extract the contents there. Which is probably how i had it working in the previous freecad version. Doen't ssem to be working like this anymore.
Also, to mention, one new folder has been added in ~/.FreeCad/Mod, named "_pycache_", which contains a file named "dxfLibrary.cpython-36.pyc".
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

spiros wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm My main issue has been solved, since i am able to work with the main workbenches again, but the extras i had were also useful. The workbenches i have saved in ~/.FreeCad/Mod are not included in the workbenches list. Would there be a proper way to include them in my FreeCad built?
I would delete the ~/.FreeCAD/Mod sub-directory. Use Tools > Addon manager, to install them 1 at a time. Restart and test for each WB. If you were using the addon macro in the past, delete this and use the native tool.

Macro_ObjectInfo, I will look into this, it's a macro not a WB so it might be different.

"_pycache_", is a Python3 thing, all the .pyc file are gathered together now. You can delete at will.
"fight the good fight"
spiros

Post by spiros »

i deleted everything except "_pycache_"
a new "system.cfg" and "user.cfg" get created after restart freecad.
things look clean :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

spiros wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 pm a new "system.cfg" and "user.cfg" get created after restart freecad.
Yes, and now they have all options set to default values.