Building LINKDAILY

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kwahoo

Re: Building LINKDAILY

Post by kwahoo »

drmacro wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 pm I don't know how to use it. When I start it I have no idea where to start, it's a bunch of empty fields. Will it tell me how to do the things you describe?
Point the sources directory and an empty directory for build and click Configure. cmake-gui will fill fields then.
phpBB [video]

Note: make -j16 at the end of the video starts 16 thread compilation. Use smaller number if you have less than 8 cores/16 thread or 16 GiB RAM.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I'll give it a go in the AM.

Thanks!
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kwahoo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 pm ...
Point the sources directory and an empty directory for build and click Configure. cmake-gui will fill fields then.

Note: make -j16 at the end of the video starts 16 thread compilation. Use smaller number if you have less than 8 cores/16 thread or 16 GiB RAM.
Ok, tried that, no joy.

Once I used the cmake-gui, I could no longer do a cmake from the command line. It kept telling me the specified source directory didn't exist and I should try cmake-gui. :( :?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

drmacro wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:48 pm Once I used the cmake-gui, I could no longer do a cmake from the command line. It kept telling me the specified source directory didn't exist and I should try cmake-gui. :( :?
Try delete CMakeCache.txt
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kwahoo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:57 pm
Try delete CMakeCache.txt
Yep, tried that trick...

In the end I just removed the source and build directory and started from scratch...command line creates errors, cmake-gui does something but make still fails.

Since I really don't understand the in and outs of cmake or cmake-gui, if the instructions given fail, I've not the chops figure it out... I was pretty good with make...about 20 years ago. But that was then, sigh. :roll:
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

drmacro wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pm In the end I just removed the source and build directory and started from scratch...command line creates errors,
Ah this point, from build directory (empty), what about cmake with following?

Code: Select all

cmake /your-freecadlinkdaily-source -DBUILD_QT5=ON -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3 -DUSE_PYBIND11=ON

Please report.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

I failed to compile Linkstage3 as well, yesterday, because of smesh it seems indeed. I was able to compile this branch frequently and recently with no issue. Now it fails as @drmacro said, at about 39% IIRC, with make -j2.
kwahoo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:23 pm I am able to compile LinkDaily, but I had to disable modules dependent on SMESH (Mesh, Fem). Internal SMESH does not like C++17 probably...
It compiles this way indeed, without FEM WB and mesh it compiles successfully (C++11), still make -j2.

BTW, I've git pull Linkstage3 (Linkdaily) today, then attempted to compile again:

Code: Select all

cmake ../ -DBUILD_QT5=ON -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/python3 -DUSE_PYBIND11=ON
then make -j2

And now that compiles fine out of the box (without disabling FEM and mesh)... that's weird but pretty cool anyway :D

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.28467 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 07218da8e0a7bd77f63ebcb8d75b28d90a442bf1
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)