FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access [SOLVED]

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Gunt

FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access [SOLVED]

Post by Gunt »

Hi,

When run FreeCAD 19.3 on Window 7 64bit, I get the error: "Illegal storage access."
This happens immediately after starting FreeCAD.
(So without even opening a file, or clicking on a menu)

I tried installing freeCAD 19.3 as portable, but with the same error.

But when I run Freecad.exe (19.3) in compatibility mode for 'windows server 2008' it seems OK.
I can start FreeCAD, open files, click on menu's... No error.

Just to test I removed the compatibility mode, > the error comes back.
Then again selected compatibility mode for 'windows server 2008' > no error.
I tried some other compatibility modes, but only 'windows server 2008' seems to work.

My question:
Does this make sense?
Is it just luck?
Am I to expect that the 'illegal storage' will come back?

Kind regards,
Gunt

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Last edited by Gunt on Mon May 23, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access

Post by chrisb »

Have a look at the known issues topic linked at the top of the Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Gunt

Post by Gunt »

Thanks for the tip.
I read the known issues topic, but found nothing that seems to relate to the "illegal storage error" and the possible "solution" with
compatibility mode windows server 2008.

I did find "FreeCAD won't run in Windows 7 if you have Classic View enabled."
But in my case Classic-view does work the same as the other themes.

I will try to replicate the illegal storage error problem and the 'solution' with compatibility mode on another computer.
Just to get more confident that the compatibility mode is a real and stable solution.

(Note: I use FreeCAD 19.3 because I read that FreeCAD 20 does not work on windows 7.
And for version 19.4 I was not able to find a portable version.)

Kind regards,
Gunt
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Gunt wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:28 pm (Note: I use FreeCAD 19.3 because I read that FreeCAD 20 does not work on windows 7.
Can some oher Windows 7 user confirm this?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

please try 0.20, it doesn't work for some people but others are using it without issues (and defend windows 7 to death)
do you get something about winerror 127?
Gunt

[SOLVED] Re: FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access

Post by Gunt »

Today I installed FreeCAD19.3 on another Win7_64bit computer.
The 'illegal access' error did NOT appear. It works great!

To adrianinsaval:
I did not try 0.20 yet. I will try it when a portable version comes available.

I did not get "winerror 127" on the computer that gave the 'illegal access' error.
On the other machine I did get the 'winerror 127' at first.
I had to use Windows update file Windows6.1-KB3063858-x64 as described in the help-forum (known issues)

Thanks for the support!
Gunt
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Re: FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access

Post by adrianinsaval »

Gunt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 pm To adrianinsaval:
I did not try 0.20 yet. I will try it when a portable version comes available.
portable version available at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
I did not get "winerror 127" on the computer that gave the 'illegal access' error.
On the other machine I did get the 'winerror 127' at first.
I had to use Windows update file Windows6.1-KB3063858-x64 as described in the help-forum (known issues)

Thanks for the support!
Gunt
I checked and that is not directly stated in the know issues post unfortunately, @chrisb now we have many confirmations of this updating being required to run python 3.8 on windows, could you add that info to the known issues? Curretly it says this:
[WinError 127] The specified procedure could not be found, followed by a path to "shiboken2".
This is caused by having installed multiple versions of python, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 12#p491312
Solution: remove all but one Python versions. including their config files in %APPDATA%\Roaming, see also the question below "FreeCAD does not start or doesn't open certain workbenches".
I suggest changing to:
[WinError 127] The specified procedure could not be found, followed by a path to "shiboken2".
This is can be caused by having installed multiple versions of python or missing the KB3063858 windows update that is required to run python 3.8 on windows 7, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 12#p491312 and https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 12#p579807
Solution: install windows update KB3063858 (for windows 7 users) and either uninstall all other python versions or remove them from the PATH environmental variable (system and user).
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access [SOLVED]

Post by adrianinsaval »

For the machine that doesn't work, do you by any chance have the classic theme enabled? I've seen somewhere that it might cause opengl to not work. If that doesn't work can you try running in compatibility mode for windows server 2008, I've also seen a case were that made freecad run under windows 7.
Gunt

Re: FreeCAD 19.3 on windows7 / Illegal storage access [SOLVED]

Post by Gunt »

Yes, I did have classic view enabled. But I tried switching to other themes. In my case it did not make a difference.
And yes, selecting compatibility mode for windows server 2008 was a 'solution' for that machine. (I wrote so in my first post).

I guess not all Windows-Sevens are created equal:-)
The one that needs the windows server 2008 compatibility mode was installed without SP1, and afterwards SP1 was added.(as were several other updates)

And the Win7 that did not need a compatibility mode was installed with SP1 included from the start.

Thanks, and Have a nice day!
Gunt