Virus detected FreeCAD uninstall.exe quarantined

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JayKay

Virus detected FreeCAD uninstall.exe quarantined

Post by JayKay »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

As soon as I installed FreeCAD AVAST Virus Scanner flagged and quarantined uninstall.exe now if I want to uninstall FreeCAD I cannot. Please send me a clean uninstall.exe to replace the one quarantined. I can send you the quarantined file and a screenshot of the warning details. The good news is I am not infected as I scanned my system with two different scanners with no alerts all I need is a replacement file for the suspect one.

Jay
screenshot of AVAST quarantine warning
screenshot of AVAST quarantine warning
2016-01-06 (1).png (13.14 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Virus detected FreeCAD uninstall.exe quarantined

Post by jmaustpc »

JayKay wrote:As soon as I installed FreeCAD AVAST Virus Scanner flagged and quarantined uninstall.exe
This would be very serious if true, but I suspect it is a false positive, as 0.15 has been out for a very long time and this is the first we have heard of a problem.......but I am assuming you are talking about the official FreeCAD downloaded from our web site?
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=D ... installers
Where did you download your FreeCAD from?

Once you get this sorted, I suggest you download the latest 0.16snapshot release because 0.15 is about to be obsolete, there are over 1300 bug fix and feature updates in 0.16dev, and it is far better for most users. The snap shots also do not have to be installed, you just download, unzip and run the freecad.exe file in the "bin" directory.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I'm pretty sure this is a false positive. I ran local virus detection and taking advice from Avast herehttps://blog.avast.com/tag/false-positive/
I ran a VirusTotal scan here:https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/441b ... 452176473/
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I don't have a facebook or google account. Can some one submit this here:http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?s ... VIRUS-FILE?
I used the uninstall.exe from here:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... _setup.exe
I sent a .zip of the uninstall.exe to work (email won't except a .exe, but supposedly scans .zip for embedded .exe) and it came through without flags.
EDIT: How to check the SHA of the file? SF vs Github? (maybe I'm just paranoid)
"fight the good fight"
ugo

Post by ugo »

Hi,
I have got the same issue.
I then told Avast to consider Unistall.exe as a false positive, but then, when running it to uninstall, I got tens of warnings for files in TEMP directory:
Au_.exe
Bu_.exe
etc

Can you please give me the list of files to delete and the list of modification t apply to remove *completely* FreeCAD?

Not a very good first experience with your SW...

ugo
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
ugo wrote:Not a very good first experience with your SW...
Yes, but considering how long version 0.15 has been out there, it would seem extremely unlikely that there is anything wrong with the FreeCAD download. I am assuming you are talking about FreeCAD 0.15 downloaded from the link below? Which one did you download, 32 or 64bit?

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=D ... installers
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

One other thing to consider, maybe just maybe it is Avast that's a POS... :roll:
(Yes I've used it in the past, now on Linux thankfully I don't have to deal with such BS anymore!)
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

I still cannot uninstall FreeCAD. Please can someone send me an uninstall.exe file for version FreeCAD-0.15.4671_x86_setup
ugo

Post by ugo »

jmaustpc wrote:Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
ugo wrote:Not a very good first experience with your SW...
Yes, but considering how long version 0.15 has been out there, it would seem extremely unlikely that there is anything wrong with the FreeCAD download. I am assuming you are talking about FreeCAD 0.15 downloaded from the link below? Which one did you download, 32 or 64bit?
Don't get me wrong! The SW is for sure Ok, but it does not fit very well with Avast.
I downloaded FreeCAD 0.15 from the link forwarded by OSVehicle. 32bit (I am still using XP. No money to upgrade :cry: )

I then managed to uninstall it, disabling the antivirus.
Then I downloaded 0.16, as suggested by you, with no installation.
But when I unzipped it, I got another virus warning on FreeCAD.exe...

Your help would be really appreciated.

Regards ugo
ugo

Post by ugo »

JayKay wrote:I still cannot uninstall FreeCAD. Please can someone send me an uninstall.exe file for version FreeCAD-0.15.4671_x86_setup
My suggestion:
- Go in Avast Chest, select uninstall.exe and assign it as "Restore and add to exclusion"
- the file now should be back at its original position: C:\Program FIles\FreeCAD (I guess).
- If the file is not there, run the installation again (I did it and it just overwrote the existing one)
- Disable Avast for 10 minutes.
- Run Uninstall.exe from the directory as above and everything will be uninstalled (er... directory FreeCad is still there but it is empty)

I did it this way, and it was ok.

regards
ugo