Setting up FreeCAD PPA for the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Setting up FreeCAD PPA for the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10

Post by NormandC »

Hello,

I guess this post is mostly for Werner, as he's the one maintaining the PPA.

This week I installed Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot Beta 2 on my PC (keeping stable Ubuntu 10.04 on another partition of course). I wanted to know if things have changed yet again with Oneiric packages wise, so I duplicated locally the process done by Lanchpad to build FreeCAD packages. Although I used the latest svn instead of the bzr clone one.

Here's what I did:
  1. Checked out latest source code
  2. Pulled the packaging.natty branch
  3. Moved the packaging.natty/debian folder to freecad source folder
  4. Edited the changelog for current version
  5. Launched source package building with the following command:

Code: Select all

debuild -S -sa --lintian-opts -i
After this command 4 files were created, freecad_0.12-svn4975~oneiric1.dsc, freecad_0.12-svn4975~oneiric1.build, freecad_0.12-svn4975~oneiric1.changes, and a tar.gz archive of the sources.

I set up a chroot environment with pbuilder, then in that environment built the packages.

Code: Select all

echo "COMPONENTS=\"main restricted universe multiverse\"" | sudo tee -a /etc/pbuilderrc
sudo pbuilder update
sudo pbuilder create
sudo pbuilder build *.dsc
Package building was successful, and once installed FreeCAD is fully functional. Although I had to install python-pivy manually. Of course FreeCAD svn revision number is missing from About menu, but I guess the bzr number will be used with bzr branch.

So Werner, would you mind if I tried creating a packaging.oneiric branch and testing this further? I figure based on my test that doing an almost exact copy of packaging.natty (with updated changelog) would work. One thing I wouldn't know how to do is to update the /trunk/package/debian folder, but I figure it is not required by the PPA.
wmayer
Founder

Re: Setting up FreeCAD PPA for the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10

Post by wmayer »

So Werner, would you mind if I tried creating a packaging.oneiric branch and testing this further? I figure based on my test that doing an almost exact copy of packaging.natty (with updated changelog) would work. One thing I wouldn't know how to do is to update the /trunk/package/debian folder, but I figure it is not required by the PPA.
I'll have a look on this one of these days. The trunk/package/debian folder has nothing to do with the Ubuntu packages. It's only for me when building private packages, i.e. with the makedebian.sh script. Since the PPA is setup I almost never needed this script any more.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Bad news. The Launchpad VCS Import of FreeCAD has failed 5 times since the last 4 days. So now any further import of the svn have been suspended, and there is no info on how to "unsuspend". There's not been any update since 25/09. :(
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Small update on this situation in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1258

As soon as this is resolved, I'll create the packaging.oneiric branch and get the PPA updated for Oneiric.

Edit: problem solved, I'll try to set this up this weekend. :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hey,

I created a new branch "packaging.oneiric", along with a new autobuild recipe. For now I've set it to built by request, and requested a build. It is currently building, so if everything goes as planned, there should be functional FreeCAD packages for Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot in a few hours. :)

The Daily Builds PPA: https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ecad-daily
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Thanks Norm

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The amd64 package is already up, so I set the recipe to auto build like the others.

It's odd, the i386 packages are always built last, and they are often 12 hours behind the amd64 ones. The documentation package is built with the i386 arch.

Off topic, I like Ubuntu 11.10 so far, even if you never know if one of the hundred daily updates will break something (which it did 2 nights ago). There are only 12 days left before final release, I'm starting to think this will be a buggy one...
j-dowsett

Post by j-dowsett »

I can confirm the amd64 installed and ran fine. I've Lubuntu installed on a virtual machine - I've just overhauled a discarded laptop and am waiting for the final release before I install it on there - I couldn't quite wait though hence the virtual machine and recording in a script everything I do to customise it to make the real install and configuration a bit quicker.

I've never played with a pre-release version before (or even a recently released version) so didn't know if this quantity of updates was normal or not...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Yeah, the quantity of updates is quite staggering. Last time I installed a beta was for Ubuntu 9.10 two years ago, and I don't remember that there were as many. Usually I wait about 2-3 months before installing an Ubuntu release. By then most of the kinks have long been worked out. This time I was eager to test 11.10 since Unity and Gnome-Shell can now cohabit. I still have my Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS partition that I can go back to.

The system feels very snappy.