Problem with installation

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jean.thil

Re: Problem with installation

Post by jean.thil »

efyx wrote:OK, all dependencies installed.
I tried install PPA from link but got information "trusty (mint) does not support".
I run Linux Mint 17.3 and the PPA version installs without a glitch.
Please give the exact and complete message for "sudo apt-get install freecad "
efyx

Post by efyx »

I type sudo apt-get install freecad, something installed. I run FreeCAD and it opens in version 0.14 but no utilities at all only empty window with tiltle bar FreeCAD 0.14
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

efyx wrote:OK, all dependencies installed.
I tried install PPA from link but got information "trusty (mint) does not support".
Please be more specific. Which PPA? freecad-stable or freecad-daily? Please report EXACTLY what you did. If you used the terminal, paste here the full command.
efyx wrote:I type sudo apt-get install freecad, something installed. I run FreeCAD and it opens in version 0.14 but no utilities at all only empty window with tiltle bar FreeCAD 0.14
I have no idea what you made with your system, but there is definitely something fishy. Are you sure it's 0.14? Please go to Help --> About FreeCAD and follow the procedure explained in the IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help topic.

I'm thinking that for whatever reason, the FreeCAD that got installed is not from either of our PPAs but from the Mint/Ubuntu repository. Now if Linux Mint 17.3 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, then it's version 0.13.2935 that was installed. That package was totally broken, which is why the FreeCAD window does not show anything. You need to activate a workbench by going to View --> Workbenches and select one in the list.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

@ eyfx is trying to compile TechDraw.
I suggested to install all the dependencies except oce and eigen3 from his package manager then post back for help adding one of the PPA's to his software sources, to get those packages there. I divided the process like this because I can't find libboost1.56-dev for Linux-Mint with a google search but another user has posted it was no problem.
Installing FreeCAD from either PPA will be fine, but won't solve the real issue, which is getting the newer versions of the oce and eigen3 dev libs.
I was trying to go step by step because eyfx is new to Linux.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I didn't try my hand at compiling until I was well comfortable with Linux. We don't even know if eyfx actually added the FreeCAD PPA properly, or which one. Add to that compiling a Git branch rather than master... I think our friend should first master the basics before going for the complicated stuff right from the start.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I don't disagree, I was going to suggest compiling FreeCAD master before trying a dev branch.
That said, most of what I've learned about Linux has come out of a desire to compile FreeCAD, when I couldn't do it on Windows. Looking back it was a lucky break for me. I started using only FreeCAD on Linux. Now I spend about 50% of my computer time in Linux and a growing portion of my software on Windows is open source.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:Now I spend about 50% of my computer time in Linux and a growing portion of my software on Windows is open source.
At home I haven't used Windows in years. I've seldom booted on Windows 7 which I installed on my custom-built PC desktop when I bought it in 2012. When Ubuntu 16.04 LTS comes out next month, I plan on formating my Windows partition. This PC will finally be Microsoft-free. :D

At work I'm the geek who whines almost every day: "dammit this doesn't happen on Linux!" :geek: ;)
efyx

Post by efyx »

NormandC wrote:
efyx wrote:OK, Are you sure it's 0.14?
as I said version 0.14 2935 GIT

I just type "sudo apt-get install freecad " and got old version.

There is no OCC at localisation given in tutorial. Without it I cannot compile Freecad cloned from TechDraw.
Maybe someone could compile that I just run install file? That would be much faster ;) If no, what repository I need to add to intall newest version of FreeCAD, then I should have all dependencies to compile TechDraw.

PS. Thanks for help.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

efyx wrote:as I said version 0.14 2935 GIT
My mistake. I just now remembered that in the About FreeCAD dialog window, it is labeled as version 0.14, but the package name is freecad_0.13.2935. It is as I thought, the broken package in the trusty (Ubuntu 14.04) repository.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/freecad
efyx wrote:what repository I need to add to intall newest version of FreeCAD
If your goal is to compile the TechDraw branch then you best use the Daily Builds PPA rather than the stable PPA. Instructions are on the wiki.

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ily.22_PPA
efyx wrote:Maybe someone could compile that I just run install file? That would be much faster ;)
In short you are asking for someone else to do the job for you... That will not be me. :roll:
drei

Post by drei »

efyx wrote:Maybe someone could compile that I just run install file? That would be much faster ;)
Ever heard of the phrase Give a man a fish ....

The community has made a great effort in writing good quality documentation, I suggest you read it.

CompileOnUnix
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first