Compiling OCCT 6.9.1? or 7.0.0?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shoogen
Veteran

Re: Compiling OCCT 6.9.1? or 7.0.0?

Post by shoogen »

One huge problem in porting FreeCAD to a new version of OCCT is, IMHO, maintaining SMESH.
Moths ago I decided not to waste any of my time with our SMESH and to wait for OCCT.com to encounter the problems in SALOME first.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I assume SMESH is used by the Mesh Design module, and used to export to mesh formats?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC wrote:I assume SMESH is used by the Mesh Design module, and used to export to mesh formats?
No, Mesh Design has its own mesh framework and SMESH is mainly used by Fem and a little bit by MeshPart.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

tanderson69 wrote:I have no idea if oce is still so much better at installation.
OCCT uses cmake already, which I think was the big "plus" of OCE...
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorik wrote:OCCT uses cmake already, which I think was the big "plus" of OCE...
If I remember correctly, you are on debian? Have you compiled and installed occt recently? If so, how was it?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

tanderson69 wrote:If I remember correctly, you are on debian? Have you compiled and installed occt recently? If so, how was it?
Yes, I'm on debian. I compiled the 7.0.0 pre-release these days and it's just a matter of making a build dir and running cmake. Don't remember exactly but I don't think I had to change any variable.

However FreeCAD chokes on it (the SMESH module IIRC), and doesn't compile anymore. I didn't go look any further yet...
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorik wrote:I compiled the 7.0.0 pre-release these days and it's just a matter of making a build dir and running cmake. Don't remember exactly but I don't think I had to change any variable.
What type of install after the build? "sudo make install" or "sudo dpkg -i some.deb"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

tanderson69 wrote:What type of install after the build? "sudo make install" or "sudo dpkg -i some.deb"
I usually use checkinstall... You run

Code: Select all

sudo checkinstall
in the build dir, and it does "make install" under the hood, but also creates an entry in dpkg database, so you can remove it later with dpkg...
drei

Post by drei »

Cannot speak about OCCT 7.0, but OCCT 6.9.1 can be compiled with a few changes in flags for cmake-gui and the same goes for FreeCAD. For some weird reason the TK* files are stored in the build directory of OCCT and the rest of the files in the install directory (e.g. /opt/opencascade).

No problems so far with OpenSuse Leap and OCCT 6.9.1.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

drei wrote:Cannot speak about OCCT 7.0, but OCCT 6.9.1 can be compiled with a few changes in flags for cmake-gui and the same goes for FreeCAD. For some weird reason the TK* files are stored in the build directory of OCCT and the rest of the files in the install directory (e.g. /opt/opencascade).

No problems so far with OpenSuse Leap and OCCT 6.9.1.
7.0.0 is a more substantial update than 6.9.1, major version updates do not guarantee API compatibility.