Silent install problems with vcredist

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Silent install problems with vcredist

Post by wmayer »

Maybe we could add a command line only switch?
No idea if this is possible. If yes, it would be an alternative.
I'm personally against being online for an install a requirement, so what's the point?
I didn't understand the logic of this report. On the one hand it's compared with installers of freeware applications where you can install malware on your system and on the other hand it's suggested to download and install it on the fly -- which is even worse IMO. So, for the bug report I would only check if the redistributable needs to be installed and if yes do it. There are also some links to stackoverflow how to achieve this.
@mayer, you can assign this issue to me
Done.
Maybe we offer a .7z of the release, then anyone can do anything they want, FreeCAD on Win is portable. And offer an installer for the typical Windows user that just wants to double click and be done with it?
For developer snapshots 7z archives might be OK but for a release version I prefer a real installer.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote:No idea if this is possible. If yes, it would be an alternative.
This can be done inside an "ifSilent block" activated by the /S command line switch. So if /S is specified additional options are enabled else not. We can offer an additional switch can be added to also delete the userappdata stuff. The only use case I can imagine is a system admin wants to "purge" FreeCAD.
wmayer wrote:I didn't understand the logic of this report. On the one hand it's compared with installers of freeware applications where you can install malware on your system and on the other hand it's suggested to download and install it on the fly -- which is even worse IMO. So, for the bug report I would only check if the redistributable needs to be installed and if yes do it. There are also some links to stackoverflow how to achieve this
Good, these were my thoughts as well. I don't see the problem with installing required MS software on an MS OS as a problem (or including it as part of the installer).
wmayer wrote:For developer snapshots 7z archives might be OK but for a release version I prefer a real installer.
I meant in addition, not instead of. Of course it is possible to unpack the installer archive and do this manually if required.
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

We can offer an additional switch can be added to also delete the userappdata stuff.
I wouldn't do that because you have to be careful not to delete anything by accident. IMO, an un-install should only delete these files the installer put onto the system. Besides this you don't even know for which user you want to clean-up the AppData because the un-installer usually runs in the context of an admin and not the user who uses FreeCAD.
I meant in addition, not instead of. Of course it is possible to unpack the installer archive and do this manually if required.
OK.
frankleng

Post by frankleng »

when you use the vcredist, used this updated one:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26368