Portable version for Ubuntu

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Portable version for Ubuntu

Post by jmaustpc »

sgrogan wrote: NormandC wrote:
I don't like using dpkg because it's a low-level tool which I'm not very used to. But AFAIK it's the only way to install a bunch of local .debs.

I don't like running commands I don't fully understand either, but I guess that's how we learn. Not very comfortable though.
Hi guys, there is a small GUI application for installing local deb files in Ubuntu, I don't know if it is installed by default or not. Its called Gdebi, which I think is Gnome, but there is a KDE Gdebi as well. But as Norm said I think newer package managers can now install local files as well.
cydone

Post by cydone »

Hello NormandC

The computer with Internet access is running with Windows.
I will try to create a live-USB and run Ubuntu on this computer.
If Ubuntu starts on this computer, what should I do next ?

Thanks for the help,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
french native speaker :-)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

cydone wrote:The computer with Internet access is running with Windows.
I was wondering about you! As I wrote previously, I believe I have downloaded all required dependencies for FreeCAD. I can whip them up in an archive that I could share on my Dropbox account. This would make things simpler for you.

I could also include Synaptic, which is a package manager with a graphical user interface. Unless you feel comfortable installing the packages from the terminal?
jmaustpc wrote:Hi guys, there is a small GUI application for installing local deb files in Ubuntu, I don't know if it is installed by default or not. Its called Gdebi
I know Gdebi well, that's my preferred method of installing a few local packages at a time, but not 71! It used to be installed by default, but it was removed from Ubuntu installs a few years back, I believe when the Ubuntu Software Centre was introduced.
jmaustpc wrote:But as Norm said I think newer package managers can now install local files as well.
I have no idea about the new Software Centre in Ubuntu 16.04 (it's a GNOME app, Canonical stopped development of their own app), but the old one in 14.04 can't install local packages.

Good old Synaptic does, however.
cydone

Post by cydone »

Hello NormandC

In the past, I used to work with windows.
I have just install ubuntu 16.04 xenial on my new computer.
I know nothing. I'm a beginner with linux.
So is Synaptic-software easy to use ?
If yes, I will use it.
I will see which software are on my ubuntu installation DVD ?

Write you later,
Thanks for the help,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

cydone wrote:In the past, I used to work with windows.
I have just install ubuntu 16.04 xenial on my new computer.
I use Kubuntu where as Norm did use, and I assume still does use, default Ubuntu. Hence there are small differences particularly at a GUI level, as Kubuntu uses KDE as the GUI. If you think of "Linux" (actually its a distro that includes Linux and other stuff) as being like layers of code, like early Windows and DOS. So our package managers are the same on the command line but Norm and I have, or can have, some differences in the GUI. There is also big differences in versions. This PC I am on right now is still using Kubuntu 12.04 (originally released April 2012), which being an LTS version gets support for 5 years or so. I also run 14.04 and I am about to set up a 16.04 pc. Also Ubuntu is designed to work via the Internet so you normally would add software by adding the external server address so that you can automatically get that new application's updates over time. In Windows you have traditionally installed a specific version and getting updates was at best an adhoc mess or a fully manual process. Also I have added a lot of other software sources to my 12.04 pc so much of its code is way updated beyond what is normally offered for 12.04.

So on my current Kubuntu 12.04 pc, I use Muon package manager which is a KDE GUI application. It allows me to add local downloaded packages by adding a local directory for it to scan, which contain any downloaded packages.
cydone

Post by cydone »

Hello,

I have checked my ubuntu-installation-DVD.
I can use it with 2 methods
1st method > only try ubuntu without physical installation – live session
2nde method > physically install ubuntu on hard drive
I will try the 1st method ( live session ) on a PC with Internet access.

If I work on a PC with Internet access as live session ( 1st method ), how can I install Synaptic-software or gnome software center or Ubuntu Software Center ?
In live session, is there one of these applications available ?
I think if I can use one of these applications, I would be able to download all the packages I need on my usb-stick
Then download from usb-stick on my linux computer.
cydone

Re: Portable version (no admin priviliges to run needed)

Post by cydone »

Hello

I have succeeded in installing FreeCAD-Software.
Now, I have to learn how to use it.
Thank you for your advice.

However, I would like to ask for some informations.
I also try to install Calculix ( Finit Element Software ) with Synaptic.

I saw that Calculix-software is divided into two application
> calculix ccx = processor
> calculix cgx = pre/post processor

On my PC, I check all the files after the installation,
I only see calculix-cxx files
There is no calculix cgx files

As both softwares ( FreeCAD, calculix ) may have some links.
See below

[quote="NormandC"]

Code: Select all

apt-source depends freecad
libatlas3-base
libopenblas-base
libspooles2.2:amd64
python-pivy
python-pyside.qtsvg
python-pyside.qtuitools
calculix-ccx
freecad
libarpack2
liblapack3[/code]

I wonder if I could find, in FreeCAD software, a specific module to replace all calculix cgx files ?

Regards,