New libpacks for Windows with VTK and OCCT7 by sgrogan

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

New libpacks for Windows with VTK and OCCT7 by sgrogan

Post by DeepSOIC »

I don't know if it's published anywhere, but...
sgrogan has made new libpacks for MSVC2013 featuring OpenCascade 7.0.0 and VTK!

https://github.com/sgrogan/FreeCAD/rele ... 7-med-test

FreeCADLibs_11.5.2_x64_VC12.7z:
...For debug builds, you'll need to disable FEM, FEM_NETGEN, and MESH_PART.
...For release builds, you'll need to disable FEM_NETGEN

@sgrogan: don't you think it's time to bump up the major version number of the libpack to 12?
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: New libpacks for Windows with VTK and OCCT7 by sgrogan

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks DeepSOIC :) It is a good time for an update on the status.

All the new dependencies have proven to be a challenge. In addition to OCCT7 and VTK, medfile and hdf5 are new dependencies. And with the upgrade to OCCT7 netgen needs to be recompiled. Plus I introduced some regressions to python ssl support when I upgraded QT.
DeepSOIC's link points to my working (as in in-process) versions.

I've been trying to compile Netgen 6.x mostly because it adds cmake support (and a python binding that I haven't even attempted yet) I will for the time being put this effort aside and use version 5.1 with the code changes necessary provided by wmayer. I'm lost without cmake so I'm sure I'll soon be asking for help.
DeepSOIC wrote:@sgrogan: don't you think it's time to bump up the major version number of the libpack to 12?
I'm targeting this for 0.17 release. Now my libpacks are a mess of missing/obsolete debug versions. I've been copy and replace over previous libpacks to not break cmake use libpack clbunlder stuff. There are some issues with the debug libs for medfile and vtk as they use the same name for the debug libs as the release libs. wmayer provided a solution for OCCT7 which had the same problem. I need to find the appropriate places to make similar fixes for the other libs.

Although this is a windows topic we also need a debian package for OCCT7 (which will require a netgen upgrade) for the Ubuntu PPA.

Thanks everyone for your patience. We will get there eventually :)
(I haven't forgot about the acos problem with numpy and adding scipy, not on the immediate horizon though)
"fight the good fight"
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

FreeCADLibs_11.5.2_x64_VC12.7z:
...For debug builds, you'll need to disable FEM, FEM_NETGEN, and MESH_PART.
...For release builds, you'll need to disable FEM_NETGEN
Since I mainly use FEM workbench I am holding thumbs for FEM/FEM_NETGEN to be resolved.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote:I've been trying to compile Netgen 6.x mostly because it adds cmake support (and a python binding that I haven't even attempted yet) I will for the time being put this effort aside and use version 5.1 with the code changes necessary provided by wmayer. I'm lost without cmake so I'm sure I'll soon be asking for help.
If it is of any help: I have created a patch file for the latest netgen to compile with occt7. It should also work with older occ version. This is based on the changes from vejmarie. The python bindings compile, but have problems on import. (Only tested on linux)

Code: Select all

ImportError: ~/anaconda/lib/python3.5/site-packages/netgen/../../.././libmesh.so: undefined symbol: _ZN6netgen15WriteUserFormatERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEERKNS_4MeshERKNS_14NetgenGeometryES7_
forgot the link: https://github.com/looooo/FreeCAD_Conda ... tgen.patch
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Just to let you know. I have finally downloaded the 11.5.2 libpack through my snail internet, and built a debug version of FC (I have disabled much more modules than required, to speed up the build). Thanks sgrogan!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

DeepSOIC wrote:Just to let you know. I have finally downloaded the 11.5.2 libpack through my snail internet, and built a debug version of FC (I have disabled much more modules than required, to speed up the build). Thanks sgrogan!
This is indeed good news, no hard coded paths :)
I'm sure you've seen it but for those that haven't viewtopic.php?f=10&p=133498#p133293
It's not in master yet and I haven't tried locally, but it's a 2:1 speed-up consistently!
"fight the good fight"
yves78

Post by yves78 »

Could you please confirm if the latest libpacks are available following the link DeepSoic provided August 06, which is :

https://github.com/sgrogan/FreeCAD/rele ... 7-med-test ?

I am sorry if my question is unnecessary, but I worry I could have missed something on libpacks new versions delivery process... :oops:

Thanks for advance.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yves78 wrote:I am sorry if my question is unnecessary, but I worry I could have missed something on libpacks new versions delivery process... :oops:
This is still the most up to date :oops: , with all the caveats :oops: in DeepSOIC's post. I'm working on OCCT 7.1 and hopefully restoring netgen support. I'm hesitant to post these "working" versions on FreeCAD's official release page because of all the caveats.
Any help is always appreciated.
The wiki also needs work. More up to date instructions are here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20602#p159717 Feedback on this is welcome.
"fight the good fight"
yves78

Post by yves78 »

Thanks a lot for that answer. The link you provided give more informations. I'll try.

I need more pratice on C++, python and freecad stuff, before feeling able to write 'official' documents. But I hope I'll be able to do that in the future.

I really would like to do it, in order to provide some 'payback' to all of you guys who give so much to the community.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yves78 wrote:I really would like to do it, in order to provide some 'payback' to all of you guys who give so much to the community.
Feedback here is valuable. Report problems with my linked "new" instructions.
"fight the good fight"