[Ubuntu Daily PPA] Transitioning to OCCT7, VTK7...

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Ubuntu Daily PPA] Transitioning to OCCT7, VTK7...

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 pm
abdullah wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:10 pm BTW, the last error is the one I was mentioning about HAVE_TBB. I think it makes sense to rename the HAVE_TBB macro used for OCAF, as otherwise it will conflict with the HAVE_TBB from OCC that we are forced to use in that form because of OCC headers.
I know that vejmarie was trying to get stuff into OCCT as part of his Step Reader improvements so at some point they may become re-aligned. I will try to get in touch with him this WE. Locally I will re-name to look at the CMake stuff.
I recently connected with him via gitter.im to inquire about issue #2955 and he was traveling. He said he'd be available once he returned. If you want to get his attention do so via https://gitter.im/FreeCAD/FreeCAD
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:07 pm I recently connected with him via gitter.im to inquire about issue #2955 and he was traveling. He said he'd be available once he returned. If you want to get his attention do so via https://gitter.im/FreeCAD/FreeCAD
Thanks Kunda1, that was the plan, he is easier to reach there. I'll probably try for bblacey as well to see the state of this on OSX packaging, but he's on Holiday travel ;)
"fight the good fight"
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Sorry for the late reply, my latest month has been roller coaster from jetlag management, and June seems to be the same. @bblacey, we will be on the same timezone ;)

Regarding the TBB support into OCCT, it has been introduced by OpenCascade to accelerate some operation like Compound computation which are done in parallel now on multicore chip (look at you CPU load when computing large Compound). This is also useful during the STEP reading operation.

We used TBB as an initial parallel library, there was some debates about OpenMP, or any other higher level library than standard PThreads. TBB is coming from Intel, and is "open". I am not a big fan of it, but it does the job currently.
luvres

Post by luvres »

Has anyone managed to build netgen 5.3.1with OCCT7 on Ubuntu 16.04?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

@ luvres Please stop posting to this topic. As its title clearly states, it is specifically about the Daily PPA.

Your previous question and chrisb's reply were split into a separate topic on my request. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23619
gdo35

Post by gdo35 »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 pm
gdo35 wrote:No error. I have no idea of what I have done. :mrgreen:
You have created a series of different meshes that test most, if not all of FreeCAD's netgen support. ;)
And they all work!
We now need to see if they build with git-build. Ideally locally as NormandC pointed out earlier in this thread, or on Launchpad on one of our personal PPA's. If this works we are psyched.
Hi all,

I finally test netgen-5.3.1 packaging with pbuilder.
I made a script to easily reproduce packaging, change version or ubuntu/debian target versions.
Can you test it please ?

Once validated, can I push netgen packages to ppa ?

The script build_netgen.sh :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

UBUNTU_VERSIONS="trusty xenial zesty"
DIR_NAME=netgen-5.3.1

git clone -b gdo https://git.launchpad.net/~freecad-maintainers/+git/netgen ${DIR_NAME}
DIR_PATH=$(readlink -f ${DIR_NAME})

# Build origin tarball
tar czf ${DIR_PATH}.orig.tar.gz ${DIR_NAME}

cd ${DIR_PATH}

# Create .dsc file
debuild -S -uc -us

cd ..

# Create pbuilder environment
for ubuntu_version in $UBUNTU_VERSIONS; do
        export OTHERMIRROR="deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily/ubuntu $ubuntu_version main"
        echo -e "\033[0;32m**************************************************** CREATE ****************************************************"
        pbuilder-dist $ubuntu_version create
        echo -e "\033[0;32m**************************************************** EXECUTE ***************************************************"
        pbuilder-dist $ubuntu_version execute --override-config --save-after-exec -- pbuilder_script.sh
        echo -e "\033[0;32m**************************************************** UPDATE ****************************************************"
        pbuilder-dist $ubuntu_version update --override-config
        echo -e "\033[0;32m**************************************************** BUILD *****************************************************"
        pbuilder-dist $ubuntu_version build --override-config *.dsc
        if [ $? != 0 ]; then
                exit 1
        fi
done
A tool script is needed to add FreeCAD ppa GPG key inside pbuilder chroot. Copy/paste it in the same folder that the previous one and name it pbuilder_script.sh.

#/bin/bash

# Install dependencies
apt-get install -y gnupg dirmngr

# Add FreeCAD ppa gpg key
apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 19BB5BCA

# Clean
apt-get purge -y gnupg dirmngr
apt-get autoremove -y --purge
Launch the build with command :

./build_netgen.sh
Thx,
gdo
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

gdo35 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 pm I finally test netgen-5.3.1 packaging with pbuilder.
I made a script to easily reproduce packaging, change version or ubuntu/debian target versions.
Can you test it please ?

Once validated, can I push netgen packages to ppa ?
Hey gdo, glad you back around!
I see you've joined the other thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24627
How would you push the package to the PPA? My understanding is that only source packages can be pushed to Launchpad. I'm still bandwidth challenged but I think the next test should be to build/publish an your personal PPA. pbuilder ensures that the build works in a clean environment, but Launchpad is very picky about debian syntax.
Thanks for the work, I've learned a lot although most still goes over my head. Maybe wait for mor discussion in the other thread?
"fight the good fight"
gdo35

Post by gdo35 »

Hi sgrogan,

ok, no problem, I will publish it on my personnal ppa. I will surely do it this week end.

I agree to close this thread and switch to the other one ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

@sgrogan

You wrote some time ago that the freecad-daily PPA storage was maxed out. I can't find the topic where you said it, so I'm going to reply here. I believe the reason is enabling the debug symbols packages (.ddeb). They use up more than 120MB for each architecture (amd64, i386), which is about 5x the freecad binary's size. :?

Since to my knowledge they have not been used more than once or twice to generate backtraces for bugs, I would vote for disabling them, but I have no idea how...

EDIT: glad I wrote about it on the forum :D https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 17#p139075

So what do you say?