OpenCamLib compile on Linux

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
geant

Re: OpenCamLib compile on Linux

Post by geant »

All systems are GO. See below!
surface.png
surface.png (127.54 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Thanks for the response sgrog. Those tiny tid bits of VITAL information sure helped out! I have been waiting a very long time to get ocl installed.

I am surely not alone. Previous installation details were just simply incomplete. Cant assume others have a dev-ready environ.

Anywho, CHEERS!
geant

Post by geant »

After trying an unsuccessful OS upgrade, freecad now throws an error when switching to PATH workbench; No module named PathCommands.
Additionally, Path Workbench never loads. HELP!!!!!!!

Think Ill just stick with Ubuntu 15.10 awhile longer OFF-NET!!!!!
geant

Post by geant »

After trying Posting -- Re: Error selecting Path WB: No module named PathCommands --,

workbench loads but still has issues.

Can I deinstall the workbench with a apt-get or similar command?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

That's got nothing to do with camlib, I have a solution until the new daily is out. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18069
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

geant wrote:After trying Posting -- Re: Error selecting Path WB: No module named PathCommands --,

workbench loads but still has issues.

Can I deinstall the workbench with a apt-get or similar command?
Path is an integral Part of FreeCAD so apt can't be used to remove it selectively. As chrisb has pointed out the PathCommands error is unrelated to the ocl stuff (probably). There were several workarounds suggested in the related thread, what exactly did you do? Version info is useful here.
Remember 0.17 is the dev branch. There will be bugs. Try to do only one change at a time yourself, nothing says there isn't two unrelated bugs.
geant wrote: workbench loads but still has issues.
Specifics are important here.
Thanks for testing!
PS: Maybe wait for the next update and see what happens. Wily is still activated on Launchpad, but it won't be forever.
Edit: fixed typo in blue
Last edited by sgrogan on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:Path is an integral Part of FreeCAD so apt can be used to remove it selectively.
Seems to have a typo there, should have been "can't". ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Seems to have a typo there, should have been "can't". ;)
Indeed, and a counter productive one at that. I've edited my previous post.
"fight the good fight"
cfnz

Post by cfnz »

Hi, just continuing this thread, as it is related and others have not too long ago...

I am trying to install opencamlib into the flatpak version of FreeCAD (Ubuntu 22.04).

From the opencam github readme, it mentions "If you don't know where Python is, but you have access to it's interpreter (FreeCAD and Blender both have a Python console), you can simply enter this command in there to install OpenCAMLib:"

Great I thought... that should do it :-)

The command was:

Code: Select all

import sys; import subprocess; subprocess.check_call([sys.executable, '-m', 'pip', 'install', 'opencamlib'])
But this seems to try and run the command against Freecad itself (which doesn't know what -m is)... it does not seem to run against Freecad's python.

Would anyone know how to install opencamlib into the Flatpak version of FreeCAD? Using the console seemed like a good idea... but???
Last edited by cfnz on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

cfnz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:59 pm Hi, just continuing this thread,
You replied to a very old topic. Meanwhile openCamLib is included in FreeCAD. Did you try the AppImage?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cfnz

Post by cfnz »

Apologies for continuing this thread, I knew it was an old thread, but thought I saw some continuation in late 2022, but that must have been another post I was also reviewing... :oops:

And thank-you for your suggestion to try the AppImage version, I tend to use Flatpak's if they are available and of the same version.

The AppImage does seem to be a bit different despite being the same version, a couple of little graphical things is better, and it also has the Path workbrench pre-installed and the 3D operations are indeed there already, unlike the Flatpak version.

So all good.

Shall I delete these posts?