Compiling on Mac ... problem with the prerequisites with homebrew

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
blacey
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Re: Compiling on Mac ... problem with the prerequisites with homebrew

Postby blacey » Sat May 06, 2017 3:05 pm

easyw-fc wrote: I finally managed to build FC on Sierra.
My Sierra is a clean installation and to build FC I followed the steps here, cleaning up all my previous attempts, brew included
I just had installed XQuartz: https://www.xquartz.org/
and Xcode
and Homebrew https://brew.sh/
You should not need XQuartz - FreeCAD uses Qt that abstracts a common UI framework to the platform-specific implementation. On Linux, it uses native X11 but on MacOS it uses the Cocoa frameworks, wherever possible (i.e. not X11)
easyw-fc wrote: here the steps I did:

Code: Select all

# Remove Homebrew
cd /usr
sudo rm -rf local

# Reinstall Homebrew
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

#  Brew FreeCAD dependencies
brew tap homebrew/science
brew tap freecad/freecad

brew install --only-dependencies freecad --with-freecad-bottles
brew install --only-dependencies freecad --with-freecad-bottles  #run a second time to ensure all dependencies are installed
--with-freecad-bottles is deprecated and no longer needed. It will not affect your install so this is just an FYI.
easyw-fc wrote:

Code: Select all

#  get FreeCAD src
git clone https://github.com/FreeCAD.git
cd FreeCAD
mkdir build && cd build
after a incomplete configure attempt I did also

Code: Select all

#  Brew FreeCAD dependencies
brew install eigen
brew install libspnav
brew install doxygen
brew install graphviz
The freecad formula should have installed all the dependencies you need for a successful configure. If you still have the logs from the brew install --only-dependencies freecad/freecad/freecad step, please provide them because I would like to see why it failed to install dependencies such as eigen.
easyw-fc wrote: # made a symlink for OpenGL
ln -s /opt/X11/include/GL /usr/local/include/GL[/code]
I haven't had to symlink openGL this in the past. Are you sure this step was needed?
easyw-fc wrote: and finally I did

Code: Select all

cmake -DBUILD_FEM_NETGEN="1" -DFREECAD_CREATE_MAC_APP="1" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/qt@5.6/5.6.2/lib/cmake -CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release" -DBUILD_QT5="1"  ../FreeCAD-git
make
then I went to drink a real bear waiting for the gem to be released! ;)

and finally I got my FC branch built! yeah! :D
Glad you got it working Maurice and were rewarded with a real beer :)
User avatar
easyw-fc
Posts: 2796
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Re: Compiling on Mac ... problem with the prerequisites with homebrew

Postby easyw-fc » Sat May 06, 2017 8:59 pm

blacey wrote: You should not need XQuartz - FreeCAD uses Qt that abstracts a common UI framework to the platform-specific implementation. On Linux, it uses native X11 but on MacOS it uses the Cocoa frameworks, wherever possible (i.e. not X11)
I needed XQuartz because I had to build also xrdp after FC ... good to know anyway
blacey wrote:--with-freecad-bottles is deprecated and no longer needed. It will not affect your install so this is just an FYI.
perfect
blacey wrote: The freecad formula should have installed all the dependencies you need for a successful configure. If you still have the logs from the brew install --only-dependencies freecad/freecad/freecad step, please provide them because I would like to see why it failed to install dependencies such as eigen.
I cannot find any logs related to freecad at ~/Library/Logs/Homebrew/
blacey wrote:I haven't had to symlink openGL this in the past. Are you sure this step was needed?
yes, I had to ask Google to go further in compilation...
the error was

Code: Select all

fatal error: 'GL/gl.h' file not found
#include <GL/gl.h>
similar to the one at FC forum here
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 32#p143434

Cheers
Maurice
User avatar
microartisan
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 am
Location: beijing
Contact:

Re: Compiling on Mac ... problem with the prerequisites with homebrew

Postby microartisan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 pm

error 1
error 2?
  • location China, when I install qtwebkit from brew freecad/freecad, it take years.
    is it required for freecad compiling?
    is it possible i can compile freecad whitout qtwebkit

the problem solved by following:
rename /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk , then I can compile the source codes