ana(conda) windows packaging

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: ana(conda) windows packaging

Post by looo »

It's because we are not using git anymore to download the source. Instead we download a tar.gz file which include the source from a specified commit. All specified in the meta.yaml...

Is it possible to set the freecad-version manually?
triplus wrote:
Edit: currently used commit: https://github.com/conda-forge/freecad- ... /meta.yaml
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

For Circle CI or Conda or for what purposes is the yaml file being used for? Where do packages available from Conde get build ATM? Why isn't cloning the FreeCAD GitHub repo approach being used?

Ideally you would be able to clone the FreeCAD git repository. And version information creation being a part of the build process. It would i guess just work. As for doing it manually. You would likely need to use an approach as used on the PPA. Creating the Version.h file manually and replace the exiting one in between the cmake and make phases of the build process. That is if something like that is possible to achieve in the build environment/process you use.

P.S. On a bit unrelated note. I wonder why @sgrogan still has to tackle this manually for the PPA purposes. Isn't cloning of the FreeCAD GitHub repo being used now? Therefore manually updating the Version.h file might not be needed anymore?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:03 pm P.S. On a bit unrelated note. I wonder why @sgrogan still has to tackle this manually for the PPA purposes. Isn't cloning of the FreeCAD GitHub repo being used now? Therefore manually updating the Version.h file might not be needed anymore?
As part of the build process on Launchpad, a source tarball is created (effectively throwing away the git info) then Launchpad builds from the tarball.

If a version.h file is in the src/build source directory it will be copied to the build/src/build directory and be used, if not during cmake one will be added to the build/src/build directory. If the git info isn't available we get the described behavior.

The cmake python script counts commits from a reference commit. For it to work it's required to clone at least as deep as the reference commit. We could update the reference commit in the FreeCAD sources to at least 0.17 release. Now its something like 5234 which requires a fairly deep clone to get it.

On Travis bblacey got tired of it and set the git depth to 5000.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 pm As part of the build process on Launchpad, a source tarball is created (effectively throwing away the git info) then Launchpad builds from the tarball.
Ah. What a waste.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:48 pm Ah. What a waste.
Yup. The link you posted a while ago about triggering Lanchpad from Travis seems promising. I just haven't found the time to investigate.

@looo, is the web available during the build process? I think there is a thread somewhere, where if wek new the commit hash we could build the version.h from the githubweb API. It dead ended because the web was not available during the Launchpad buidl process.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

@sgrogan

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting to reattach the missing info in the build script. Not sure how to achieve it but commit-hash and git should be accessible.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:17 am If I understand correctly, you are suggesting to reattach the missing info in the build script. Not sure how to achieve it but commit-hash and git should be accessible.
See Here:https://blog.notfoss.com/posts/get-tota ... ithub-api/
Then we can build our own version.h file and inject it into the source tar.gz somehow.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote:See Here:https://blog.notfoss.com/posts/get-tota ... ithub-api/
Then we can build our own version.h file and inject it into the source tar.gz somehow.
thanks for the information. I will first try to setup a fork of the freecad-feedstock which pulls packages to the freecad-channel (so conda-forge will be more like a release-channel and the freecad-channel will contain the more recent builds without the need to build the packages locally. For the packages of freecad-channel we can use git directly and therefor version-info should be available.

Once this is done I will try to apply your suggestion to the conda-forge packages.
zbigg

Post by zbigg »

hi guys,

I see 'daily' builds appear constantly but I personally cant compile v.018 on MSVC2017 x64 with the Libs 11.5.3 from sgrogan
Could anybody advice where/how move on with this - either w/conda or cmake ?
Can I use /just compiled/ QT 5.11.1 ?
Should I build any individual deps ?
cheers,
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

zbigg wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 am hi guys,

I see 'daily' builds appear constantly but I personally cant compile v.018 on MSVC2017 x64 with the Libs 11.5.3 from sgrogan
Could anybody advice where/how move on with this - either w/conda or cmake ?
Can I use /just compiled/ QT 5.11.1 ?
Should I build any individual deps ?
I guess conda-build is not yet totally ready for MSCVC2017.

If you want to build with qt5.11 please help people on conda-forge to update the qt-recipe. But as conda-is cross-plattform this is a huge task, so be prepared. ;)

building qt is difficult, but building qt for 3 systems is insane.