memory required to compile FreeCAD

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sps

memory required to compile FreeCAD

Post by sps »

Hello,
I'd like to develop some thing new with FreeCAD, so I need to develop and use the code of FreeCAD and all its dependencies.

Because I have to develop all that in a cloud development environment, I need to know how much memory all the compiled code+all dependencies require if installed on a Linux machine, let's say with Ubuntu 14.04.

Did you try to install it on a cloud development environment, and if yes could you suggest me which one it is, or could be the best for my purpose?

Thanks
peterl94
Veteran

Re: memory required to compile FreeCAD

Post by peterl94 »

I don't know how much memory is required, but we use Travis CI for our continues integration and I think that has 4GB of memory available. The build script can be seen here: .travis.yml.
sps

Post by sps »

But Travis is for Mac OS only, or no?

Does it provide a complete development IDE environment?
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

sps wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 pm But Travis is for Mac OS only, or no?
No, ubuntu support was first. The script I linked to creates builds using a ubuntu 14.04 image as well as macOS.
sps wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 pm Does it provide a complete development IDE environment?
Travis CI is for automated builds. It is not a generic server that you can log into.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

sps wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm Because I have to develop all that in a cloud development environment
By the way, why is that? Unless you only need to use FreeCAD without a GUI, I don't see how it is going to work well.
sps

Post by sps »

peterl94 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:43 pm By the way, why is that? Unless you only need to use FreeCAD without a GUI, I don't see how it is going to work well.
Mmm, maybe you're right. But I'm having some troubles with my hardware.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

sps wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm But I'm having some troubles with my hardware.
Are you using a laptop? What kind of troubles? Not sure I can help, but maybe it is a solvable issue.
sps

Post by sps »

Thanks for help,
but some hardware is a bit old... (just a money problem, sorry )

I'm just looking for a solution to work online :D safe and without thinking... it's not a problem of FreeCAD