freecad-git Qt5 support ( Linux-Gentoo)

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Brane212

freecad-git Qt5 support ( Linux-Gentoo)

Postby Brane212 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to make freecad-9999 work with Qt5. I've made ebuilds for shiboken2 & pyside2 , new opencascade & vtk, but freecad build constantly fails during config as cmake fails to locate qt5 stuff. It reports qtxxxx-5.9.x as having wrong version.

I thought it is supposed to prefer qt-5.9x.

Or do I have to flip another specific config option ?

Also, it would be nice to know whether having newer OCCT and vtk would be preferential. I tried most recent ones and then it fails during compile somewhere near half (44%), but using OCCT-6.9.1 seems to be better ( don't know yet, it's currently compiling - now at 62% /using qt4/)

Since I need OCCT and VTK solely for Freecad at the moment, I wouldn't want to fiddle with them anymore than needed, especially if Freecad wouldn't be able to profit from them....
chrisb

Re: freecad-git Qt5 support ( Linux-Gentoo)

Postby chrisb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 am

The stability has been improved with newer OCC versions, especially concerning boolean operations, thickness, etc.
jmaustpc

Re: freecad-git Qt5 support ( Linux-Gentoo)

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:14 am

I am a bit out of date with compiling and I was doing so on Kubuntu. However some comments that might help.....
Use the latest occt that you can. 7.1 has been used in our daily ppa for ubuntu for a long time now. Freecad will work with older oce or occt but some features and bug fixes require a more recent occt. It would be disappointing to go to the effort of getting all this to work but not use at least occt 7.1. Others here have succeeded in compiling 7.2 with minor isses.

I think I saw in a recent discussion that pyside2 does not fully support qt5.9, I will see if I can find the post.
Brane212 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:20 pm
freecad-9999
I don't know what that version of FreeCAD means.