LibreOffice with Python 3.5

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Re: LibreOffice with Python 3.5

Post by dprojects »

cjones6108 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:42 pmAfter several days of banging my head against it, my conclusions are
Good developer not think WHY to code something, good developer think HOW to do it to complete the goal. If You start thinking "I don't want to do it", "it is too complicated", "it is not worth it", "why on the Earth I should do it", there always will be many workarounds and reasons not to do it not matter what You do.

I was so long time ago, I don't even remember what was the reason to open the issue, tho. Probably because the FreeCAD spreadsheet was not fully compliant with LibreOffice spreadsheet version. After open more advanced version FreeCAD spreadsheet in LibreOffice You had one big mess. So it was better to copy CVS text manually and correct it manually also.

This issue was opened to point out new good feature and make the FreeCAD better. However, If You feel so big pressure and don't want to do it, just remove it and forget about it. I have my workaround and don't cut chipboards daily to feels so big pain in ass without this feature. I was living so long without it, so probably this feature is not worth to ruin someones life ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

dprojects wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:38 am This issue was opened to point out new good feature and make the FreeCAD better. However, If You feel so big pressure and don't want to do it, just remove it and forget about it. I have my workaround and don't cut chipboards daily to feels so big pain in ass without this feature. I was living so long without it, so probably this feature is not worth to ruin someones life ;-)
I think this feature is valid and it makes sense for other applications besides using Calc. Someone(s) just needs to step-up and make it happen, just like the rest of FreeCAD and the open source world. Lets do it.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cjones6108

Post by cjones6108 »

OK, so now I feel like a complete idjit, which is not terribly unusual. I added an additional note on the bug ticket (#2957), with the new observation that I actually tried out the spreadsheet functionality with the TechDraw workbench and found that it seems to work fine. Also uploaded a sample drawing with the requisite elements included. The spreadsheet view is printable with the standard print dialog, and can also be exported as a PDF. On Windows 10, the standard print dialog also includes an option to print to PDF.

Now, granted, this totally bypasses the issue in the subject line here, which is regarding LibreOffice and Python. These would still be valid topics for development work, but FWIW, the actual bug/feature request I'm guessing is satisfied, pending peer review and validation. :roll:

-----
caj
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I found this whole discussion interesting and useful: I've added a very short section to the wiki about printing a spreadsheet via TechDraw. Please feel free to add more details to it!
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

cjones6108 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:34 am OK, so now I feel like a complete idjit
cjones6108 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:34 am On Windows 10
I use Ubuntu and I have error: "Printing not implemented for SpreadsheetGui::SheetView"

Export to CSV work only from Spreadsheet view under the button. There is no such option from "Export..." or "Save as...". Nothing change during this time, I guess.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

dprojects wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:27 pm I use Ubuntu and I have error: "Printing not implemented for SpreadsheetGui::SheetView"
About info pls
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:30 pm About info pls
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

dprojects wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:37 pm Version: 0.18.4.
Update to v0.19_pre https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

The button "Inserts a view of a selected spreadsheet" under "TechDraw" selection works fine. Also, I am able to export to pdf the page with spreadsheet. This is useful for me. However, it is not as good looking as it would be directly in LibreOffice table, because the "TechDraw" page:

- not has column size adjustment,
- not has text position (left, right, center),
- the text can be set to bold only directly in spreadsheet.

Is there any way to save spreadsheet as LibreOffice .odt file with spreadsheet converted to table? This would be what I am looking for to make the whole print process very quick.

https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=2957#c15280

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:46 pm
dprojects wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:37 pm Version: 0.18.4.
Update to v0.19_pre https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
did you update?