FC17 install on Win7: associations belongs to FC16

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
liutas4x4

FC17 install on Win7: associations belongs to FC16

Post by liutas4x4 »

Hi,

After installation of FC17 13515 associations for FCStd files remains as they were for FC16, no changes in registry were made. Double click open FC16.

Is it correct?

Cheers,
Eugenijus
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: FC17 install on Win7: associations belongs to FC16

Post by sgrogan »

liutas4x4 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm Is it correct?
FreeCAD's installer tries to be as minimally invasive as possible, so it does not set the file association, and leaves it to Windows.

I think if you uninstall 0.16 and start 0.17 the file association will change to 0.17. Then you can re-install 0.16. NOT TESTED.
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can right click on a FreeCAD file and edit it's properties. There you can choose the applications which opens the file and you can check the box "open always with this program" (or similar, don't have an english system).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:34 pm FreeCAD's installer tries to be as minimally invasive as possible, so it does not set the file association, and leaves it to Windows.
Never heard about Windows' possibility to do something smart instead of installer. No AI is implemented there [smile].
FC does not create it's group in registry for reference from association manager. There are nothing to choose from any "drop down" list.
So, this is manual editing of registry only - not very easy and very long way.

sgrogan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:34 pm I think if you uninstall 0.16 and start 0.17 the file association will change to 0.17. Then you can re-install 0.16. NOT TESTED.
Will not, because association for 0.16 was created by me, by hand too.

Eugenijus.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

liutas4x4 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:45 pm Will not, because association for 0.16 was created by me, by hand too.
I guess me too :oops: I thought I used "Open with" as chrisb suggested, but evidently not.
Do you mind to open a feature request on the tracker?
REF: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/File_Association
"fight the good fight"
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 pm Do you mind to open a feature request on the tracker?
REF: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/File_Association
OK, I'll do it tomorrow. With cross to this topic.

Eugenijus.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Come on. Windows has a tool for assigning file associations, you don't have to edit registry.

There is a new mechanism in windows 10, but I don't know how to program for it. But whenever I install a new program that can open certain file types (e.g., install Chrome, which can open PDFs), Windows will pop up with a dialog for me to pick the default program, even though I have already picked one previously.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 pm Come on. Windows has a tool for assigning file associations, you don't have to edit registry.

There is a new mechanism in windows 10, but I don't know how to program for it. But whenever I install a new program that can open certain file types (e.g., install Chrome, which can open PDFs), Windows will pop up with a dialog for me to pick the default program, even though I have already picked one previously.
It seems you are too far from Win7 or from Windows itself.

To obtain something semi-automated from Windows, it must have some info about your target.
All whose things are stored as a keys in the registry.
If there are no registry entry, Windows knew about particular thing exactly nothing. Nothing.

So, c'mon, show me a print-screen, where in a list for default program you have a name, not described in the registry.

Eugenijus.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

Manual steps described:

1. Create the key .FSCtd @ \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
2. Under it, create DeafaultIcon key with type REG_SZ and value %your_freecad_path%,0
3. Under \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications create key FreeCAD.exe
4. Under it create empty key "shell"
5. One level more, under \shell - on more key "open"
6. Under \open - key "command" with value type REG_SZ and value "%your_freecad_path%" "%1"
7. Repeat steps 3-6 under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications
8. Repeat steps 3-6 under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes, but the first key name must to be fcstd_auto_file instead of FreeCAD.exe
9. Under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts create the key named .FCStd
10. Under it - key named OpenWithList and value FreeCAD.exe
11. Under level above, parallel to mentioned in 10, - key UserChoice and sub key ProgID with value Applications\FreeCAD.exe

Huh.

BTW, FreeCAD IS associated in registry with some file types (dae, bzw and some others). But not with FCStd.

Eugenijus.

P.S. I can export may registry branches, containing those references. Will it be useful for a someone?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

liutas4x4 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:07 pm you are too far from Win7
Oh yes, that one was sooo long ago :mrgreen: .

liutas4x4 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:07 pm So, c'mon, show me a print-screen, where in a list for default program you have a name, not described in the registry.
I didn't say anything against it. All I wanted to say, you certainly don't have to open regedit to make your files open with 0.17 by default. You would still have to browse for FreeCAD.exe, which is not newb-friendly, I agree...

Or do you? hmm, I think I had this problem before, too, otherwise why had I put my default freecad behind a symlink, that I redirect every time I upgrade?..