FreeCAD for MacOS now more than 100 commits behind

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
peterl94

Re: FreeCAD for MacOS now more than 100 commits behind

Postby peterl94 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 am

Sorry I've let this slide again, ian.rees accurately describes the reason for my absence as well. Anyway, the problem is the same as it was last time. Our bottles that depend on qt (pyside and qtwebkit) are outdated again and need to be recompiled. I only have the process of creating the bottles somewhat automated, so it still requires quite a bit of time, especially since I've been building them for all three macOS versions. I may have time to do it this weekend, but no promises.

This will continue being a problem every time homebrew has a breaking update, but the effort would be greatly reduced if we were able to get rid of the need for our own pyside and qtwebkit bottles. Homebrew will probably accept pyside into core as soon as there is a stable release, which hopefully will happen this year, and qtwebkit is unsupported as far as I know and what ever is using it should be changed to use the qt5 equivalent. The remaining libraries that won't be accepted into homebrew core are small enough that they could be automatically built with travis when needed.
ian.rees

Postby ian.rees » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:16 am

Good to see you online Peter!

PySide2 is now available via pip/pip3, and Qt is planning on also making Shiboken2 available similarly (it's currently in the PySide2 egg, but kinda broken and isn't intended to be left there, if I understand correctly). So, I'll be curious to see whether PySide2 gets brought in to Homebrew (I'm guessing this one), or if Homebrew takes the line that it's in pip so doesn't need to be. Either way, we should be able to avoid building it ourselves in the not-too-distant future.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 am

Great to see you working on this; thanks!
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Agreed, thanks for the attention, guys.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:51 pm

FYI webkit has been ported to qt5, fortunately... In debian it is there up and running already.
peterl94

Postby peterl94 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:46 am

Yes, there is no issue with using qtwebkit with qt5. I'm talking about replacing it with QtWebEngine (or something more light weight) so that we don't have to continue providing our own qtwebkit package on macOS. https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2868
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 am

Some time ago I ported FreeCAD to QWebEngine: https://github.com/wwmayer/FreeCAD/commits/webengine

But things behave weirdly because when trying to open a web page twice (IIRC) then FreeCAD simply aborts (at least on Windows) and there is no obvious information about why. With the debug version it might be possible to get some more information about the failure but it seems impossible to get built the debug version of Qt5WebEngineCore. Whenever trying it the linking process keeps stopping and never succeeds even after waiting for hours.

Since we need the browser stuff only for the Web/StartPage module I wonder if we should switch to a much simpler solution like using QML or a widget-based approach. A full-featured web engine is not needed anyway.
peterl94

Postby peterl94 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

FYI, macOS builds are working again.
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks for your help!!
davidhq

Postby davidhq » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi, I tried to compiel FreeCAD on macOS 10.13.6 today with

Code: Select all

cmake \
  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Release"   \
  -DBUILD_QT5=1                  \
  -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.11.0/lib/cmake"  \
  -DFREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_KDL=1   \
  -DBUILD_FEM_NETGEN=1           \
  -DFREECAD_CREATE_MAC_APP=1     \
  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="./.."  \
  ../FreeCAD/
I installed most of deps with brew:

cmake  ccache  libpng  qt  qtwebkit  llvm  numpy  FreeCAD/freecad/shiboken2  FreeCAD/freecad/pyside2  FreeCAD/freecad/pyside2-tools  freeimage  gl2ps  tbb  opencascade  orocos-kdl  freecad/freecad/matplotlib  isl  gcc  szip  hdf5  freecad/freecad/med-file  libtiff  netcdf  vtk  FreeCAD/freecad/nglib  FreeCAD/freecad/coin  FreeCAD/freecad/pivy  swig  icu4c  oniguruma  jq
I got it working up to a point, I think I'm close, the error I get now is:

$ cat /Users/david/Install/FreeCAD/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log
Determining if the include file GL/gl.h exists failed with the following output:
Change Dir: /Users/david/Install/FreeCAD/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_240af/fast"
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_240af.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_240af.dir/build
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_240af.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc   -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk   -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_240af.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o   -c /Users/david/Install/FreeCAD/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c
/Users/david/Install/FreeCAD/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c:1:10: fatal error: 'GL/gl.h' file not found
#include <GL/gl.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_240af.dir/CheckIncludeFile.c.o] Error 1
make: *** [cmTC_240af/fast] Error 2
Any tips?

thank you