Debian Wheezy package built from git

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
cblt2l

Debian Wheezy package built from git

Postby cblt2l » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:30 pm

For anyone else out there running Wheezy that wants a newer freecad build I have built a package from git.

I'm new to the world packaging so if there are any problems let me know. If all goes well I may start doing a weekly build.

I'm also looking for a better place to upload. Any suggestions?

:!: Due to improvements in newer versions of OCE , my future builds (starting with rev 2751) will require backported packages from unstable. Tarballs containing the necessary packages for amd64 and i386 can be found in my Dropbox repository.

I finally got the Dropbox repository working so just add the following to sources.list
I don't have a key set up yet so you must answer 'Y' when apt complains that the package can't be authenticated.

Code: Select all

deb https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63300398/deb-packages ./
Updated 02/19/14
* Updated to rev 3191
* Updated to OCE 15
* Rebuilt netgen against OCE 15
* Compiled with CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release as work around to sketcher bug here
* Set up Dropbox apt repository for freecad & friends

Updated 12/26/13
* Updated to rev 2920
* Added experimental packages for povray.

Updated 11/14/13
* Updated to rev 2751
* Updated liboce packages to 0.12-4 from unstable
* "About FreeCAD" dialog shows the revision number again

Updated 10/6/13
* Updated to rev 2604
* Changed debian-related files to be more in line with upstream
* Compiled with libeigen version 3.0.3-1 as a workaround to sketcher issues found here

Updated 9/20/13
* Updated to rev 2520
* Fixed some build related stuff
** The revision number is blank on the 'About FreeCAD' dialog. Currently investigating...

Update 8/20/13
* Updated to rev 2411
* Added python-qt4 and python-pivy dependencies

Updated 6/23/13
* Updated to rev 2207
* Both i386 and amd64 builds available
* Minor tweaks to build configuration

Updated 10/25/12 Added rev 1533
Last edited by cblt2l on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
cblt2l

Re: Debian Wheezy package built from git

Postby cblt2l » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:39 am

Package updated
-- Added .desktop file and xpm icon
-- Updated git
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 am

Nice. I added your package to the Alternative FreeCAD builds on the Download wiki page. https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... CAD_builds

I don't have any suggestion for a better repo though. It's a pity we can't upload packages for Debian on Launchpad (it's specifically for Ubuntu). I read about an Open Suse project repository which allows multiple distro builds. Don't remember the topic I read this from. Edit: I found the project. It's called openSUSE Build Service. It may be worth checking out... http://openbuildservice.org/ and https://build.opensuse.org/
cblt2l

Postby cblt2l » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:11 am

Thanks for the link normandc. Unfortunately it looks like openbuildservice only supports debian 5 (lenny) and 6 (squeeze). Although building for other systems, it looks like the way to go.

I've been hearing about a proposal for a debian ppa system http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep10/#index5h2 but I doubt it will be implemented soon.

I'm kicking around the idea of a google drive or a google code page to upload the packages. But I will have to look into it more. If openbuildservice adds support for wheezy or sid I will definitely go there.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:32 am

Well if it comes to it I guess the FreeCAD people may give you upload access to the SF files repository. It would need to be clear that these packages are for Wheezy though, or someone's bound to try to install them on Ubuntu.
mclien

Postby mclien » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi there,

still searching a upload place?
I have a somewhat "unused" domain on my root server. I could make a sub-dir "freecad" there and give you a ftp-user for upload. If somone with some more repository knowledge, we can also make it a repository, if that will do any good.

Just drop me a line abou it...
cblt2l

Postby cblt2l » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 am

It would be nice to have somewhere else to upload the packages. Currently I'm using dropbox, which works but not nearly as nice as an apt repo. I'm not familiar with setting it up either so we would have to get advise from someone else.

I'm also curious if debian will begin providing current freecad releases in backports. If that is the case then I probably don't need to continue with the third party builds.
mclien

Postby mclien » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm

as a quick solution I could generate a ftp user for you and generate the subdir /freecat, so users could download it from there (too).

And I'll ask around if there is a easy way to make it some sort of poor mans repository.
(If I understand it correctly the freecad team hopes to get Version 0.14 compatible with the debian rules, which means -backports aside- the first debian to have freecad "official" could be 8. Which means at least 2 years from now.)
So maybe the poor mans repro is worth the effort.

mclien
cblt2l

Postby cblt2l » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 am

That sounds good. It can't hurt to have another place to upload. I'm planning on adding packages for Jessie, so if we can get the repo going somehow then that would be useful.

I'm also thinking about adding some user generated scripts to the package. I know I've seen a hole wizard, and possibly some others like gear and bolt wizards. I don't know if there are any plans to merge them into the main branch or not.
(If I understand it correctly the freecad team hopes to get Version 0.14 compatible with the debian rules, which means -backports aside- the first debian to have freecad "official" could be 8. Which means at least 2 years from now.
That would be nice. I'm getting a ton of lintian errors now with my current configuration. Hopefully things get better in that department.
ifcuser

Postby ifcuser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I installed freecad_0.14-git2434_amd64.deb on my machine with debian wheezy. FreeCAD starts but as soon as the GUI with all icons is visible the CPU load of the process FreeCAD gets to 99 % . It is not possible to work with freecad. Does anyone has an idear.

kind regards ifcuser