FC can't find the Help files

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: FC can't find the Help files

Post by NormandC »

OldDraftsman wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:10 pm I have the freecad-daily PPA.
The freecad-doc package is not available in that PPA, only in the freecad-stable PPA.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

NormandC wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 pm The freecad-doc package is not available in that PPA, only in the freecad-stable PPA.
{grin} Seriously?
let me see if I have this correct. First Par.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p259543
But it is only available to me if I also have the stable build PPA. Is it April First -- again -- already? :)

It's a help file! If the "what's this," is not available to the daily version, then why is the icon even there? Or at least why isn't it grayed out? In total I have wasted several hours of my time and collectively this forums time trying to help me make it work.

OK, not blaming you Norman, just highlighting even more Human Interface irony.
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In any case there is some work to be done on that offline doc. It is becoming more and more difficult to maintain..
Some day I'd like to rescue an option that I think was available some long time ago, that is to be able to switch off completely the offline doc, and make all the links to offline docs open the online doc in a browser instead...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

OldDraftsman wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 pm It's a help file! If the "what's this," is not available to the daily version, then why is the icon even there? Or at least why isn't it grayed out? In total I have wasted several hours of my time and collectively this forums time trying to help me make it work.
If you only have the freecad daily PPA, you can install the "freecad-daily-doc" package.
The problem with this is that everytime that freecad-daily is updated, the freecad-daily-doc package is updated. However the actual content of the docs doesn't change. So you end up updating a 140MB package that doesn't have any real changes. @kkremitzki is working to change the packaging so this will not be the case in the future.
I agree that it would be good that if the .qch/.qrc files aren't available that "What's this" should be greyed out, or default to the on-line version.

We got here because it was never imagined that the user would have a stable and developer version installed at the same time. Until the 0.17 release it wasn't even possible. The user had to choose 1 or the other. There was a lot of interest to be able to have both versions installed at the same time.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

OldDraftsman wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 pm {grin} Seriously?
Right back at you.

You've been given all the info needed to solve your issue, you just need to pay attention to what's been replied to you rather than jump to wrong conclusions as seems to be your habit.

I will not repeat myself. sgrogan didn't even need to reply and repeat what's been already written. But he's more patient than me.