FreeCAD on macOS Mojave

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tom

Re: FreeCAD on macOS Mojave

Post by tom »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

tom wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 pm See here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39845
Can you please elaborate what the link should tell us?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tom

Post by tom »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:10 pm
tom wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 pm See here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39845
Can you please elaborate what the link should tell us?
The link refers to the issue mentioned in the previous post:
leonardshelby wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:30 am There's another little bug, also with macOS 10.14: Freecad unexpectedly quits when I try to open a file from the "recent files" menu with no other file opened before. Is this macOS specific also?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Note: issue #3744 "Open file dialog freezes the laptop for several minutes (approx. 2 min) <-- Due to missing Code Signing" still is persisting for users.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

There are some examples available for signing electron apps via travis:

https://www.update.rocks/blog/osx-signing-with-travis/
https://www.jviotti.com/2016/03/16/how- ... is-ci.html

But this needs an apple-developer-id which again needs an apple-id and a two factor verification ...
jcwash

Post by jcwash »

Tried this alias workaround on Mojave 10.14.16 to launch FreeCad 0.18 from the terminal. It launched FreeCad, but without the version info I usually see at the top left of the window. Also would not open any of my Free Cad files! Am I missing something?

I see from posts that an upgrade to Catalina solves some issues, but I'm loath to do that now as the OS upgrade will most likely cause me to lose the use of bunch of legacy software.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Starting from commandline I can confirm that the menu looks different. I cannot confirm any problems opening files. What did you try? Any messages on the commandline or in report view?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I've recently done a bit of work on Mac signing & notarization at work, so I could help out with this.

It would be nice to actually have a FreeCAD organization instead of an individual account to keep everything under, but until we are e.g. able to be classified as a non-profit through Software Freedom Conservancy membership we can neither have an org account nor get the $99/year fee waived.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jjdfree

Post by jjdfree »

I've had no luck with the official workaround of starting in a terminal or executing the binary directly. If I execute the binary inside the app most of the time the menus don't work at all. What I have found that works is code signing without a certificate. To do that open a terminal, cd to the directory with the FreeCAD application (or use the full path) and enter this:

codesign --force --deep -s - FreeCAD.app

I'm not sure if that really uses no certificate or a default system certificate but it eliminates the delays and I've used it on 0.18 and 0.19 builds.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this, I have added it to the Known OS specific issues page.