[DONE] conda: update to gcc7 and py3.7

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: [wip] conda: update to gcc7 and py3.7

Post by looo »

Help! Netgen makes problems....I can't solve it. What should I try? Who wants to sponser a Mac, so I can try things locally? Can be an old one too. I can give address if anyone is interested :D
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:03 pm Help! Netgen makes problems....I can't solve it. What should I try? Who wants to sponser a Mac, so I can try things locally? Can be an old one too. I can give address if anyone is interested :D
Can you set up a Patreon or go-fund-me or something? I think $500 USD can get a reconditioned Mac that you won't have to sleep between builds.
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:19 pm Can you set up a Patreon or go-fund-me or something?
I am willing to invest in a more stable Mac build system.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

This is something I've wanted for myself as well, and I know Ian at one point offered to host a Mac build server. This is one case where joining the Software Freedom Conservancy would be nice as they are able to hold physical assets for us in a proper way, and would be able to offer tax write-off if some benefactor wanted to donate the hardware.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:24 pm This is something I've wanted for myself as well, and I know Ian at one point offered to host a Mac build server. This is one case where joining the Software Freedom Conservancy would be nice as they are able to hold physical assets for us in a proper way, and would be able to offer tax write-off if some benefactor wanted to donate the hardware.
I am pretty happy with the possibilities given by conda-forge to build on all main systems (travis, circle-ci, appveyor). Also conda-forge is sponsored by num-focus and therefor they pay for the service if it is necessary (this was the case during the gcc7-porting).
Building locally gives me the opportunity to iterate the build much faster. Also I have the feeling that maintaining a software should be tightly integrated into the development of software. I guess you know the situation to have a punch of patches which should be applied to upstream and nobody cares about these patches.
sgrogan wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:19 pm Can you set up a Patreon or go-fund-me or something? I think $500 USD can get a reconditioned Mac that you won't have to sleep between builds.
I will think about this. There is maybe also another way...
blacey

Post by blacey »

looo wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:24 pm I am pretty happy with the possibilities given by conda-forge to build on all main systems (travis, circle-ci, appveyor). Also conda-forge is sponsored by num-focus and therefor they pay for the service if it is necessary (this was the case during the gcc7-porting).
Building locally gives me the opportunity to iterate the build much faster. Also I have the feeling that maintaining a software should be tightly integrated into the development of software. I guess you know the situation to have a punch of patches which should be applied to upstream and nobody cares about these patches.
@looo, I have a mid-2010 2.4GHz Mac Mini w/250 GB SSD and 2GB of RAM that I can setup for your dedicated macOS conda use, at least as an initial solution for quicker iteration/resolution.

If you are interested, I will host it on my home network which is 400 MB down and 20 MB up but sufficient for your conda macOS quicker-turn iteration needs. I will lay down a clean OS and will give you an admin account into which you can login with ssh keys and establish tunnels for VNC, etc. I will be happy to help you with the ssh tunnel setup/config. Let me know if you are interested and which OS version you prefer. I'de suggest we run the oldest macOS version that we would like to support using Conda.

Let me know and keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Bruce
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

blacey wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:37 pm @looo, I have a mid-2010 2.4GHz Mac Mini w/250 GB SSD and 2GB of RAM that I can setup for your dedicated macOS conda use, at least as an initial solution for quicker iteration/resolution.

If you are interested, I will host it on my home network which is 400 MB down and 20 MB up but sufficient for your conda macOS quicker-turn iteration needs. I will lay down a clean OS and will give you an admin account into which you can login with ssh keys and establish tunnels for VNC, etc. I will be happy to help you with the ssh tunnel setup/config. Let me know if you are interested and which OS version you prefer. I'de suggest we run the oldest macOS version that we would like to support using Conda.

Let me know and keep up the good work!
Hello bruce,

thanks for the offer. This sounds very good, but still I am not sure if it will speed up the iterations a lot. I am not used to tunnels and VNC, .. so this will definetly need some time to get used to. I would prefer the option to iterate the builds on my own machine (This is what I am used to (linux/windows) and what worked for me the best)

If I don't find a solution until January next year, I will come back to the offer.
blacey

Post by blacey »

looo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am Hello bruce,

thanks for the offer. This sounds very good, but still I am not sure if it will speed up the iterations a lot. I am not used to tunnels and VNC, .. so this will definetly need some time to get used to. I would prefer the option to iterate the builds on my own machine (This is what I am used to (linux/windows) and what worked for me the best)

If I don't find a solution until January next year, I will come back to the offer.
Sounds good. I'm essentially donating the computer to your FreeCAD Conda cause so I can also ship it to your home if you prefer.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

blacey wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:47 pm Sounds good. I'm essentially donating the computer to your FreeCAD Conda cause so I can also ship it to your home if you prefer.
This is a very nice offer. Would shipping to Austria/Innsbruck be possible?
blacey

Post by blacey »

looo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 am This is a very nice offer. Would shipping to Austria/Innsbruck be possible?
Everything is possible but I have no idea what that would cost. Can you PM your address to me so I can see how much it would cost to ship to you? Also, you will need to provide a USB keyboard and Monitor - either HDMI or DVI to set it up. I will lay a clean OS on it for you so it will be the same as if it were shipped to you from Apple. Once you set it up, you can run it headless with screen sharing and remote login (e.g. ssh).