[DONE] conda: update to gcc7 and py3.7

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [wip] conda: update to gcc7 and py3.7

Post by chrisb »

looo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 am This is a very nice offer. Would shipping to Austria/Innsbruck be possible?
Did you receive a Mac? If not, would a Mac Mini do? If so I can try to get one for you.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 am Did you receive a Mac? If not, would a Mac Mini do? If so I can try to get one for you.
No Mac yet, but I have planed to buy a mac after christmas... So hopefully setting up a weekly osx-conda-package (similar to the appimage) in this year. The gcc-7* port will happen in the next year. There is still a lot of work...

* Actually for osx there is no update to gcc7, but (similar to linux) compilers from conda (and not from the system) are used.
So for the old toolchain the osx-compilers are:

Code: Select all

-- The C compiler identification is AppleClang 9.0.0.9000038
-- The CXX compiler identification is AppleClang 9.0.0.9000038
And for the new toolchain it is:

Code: Select all

-- The C compiler identification is Clang 4.0.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is Clang 4.0.1
I also read about clang being the best choice for a future compiler... So we will maybe see windows conda packages beeing compiled with clang in the future...(But this is pure speculations ;) )
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

little present: pyside2 and pivy ported to new compilers. Pivy is build for 3 different python versions x 2 different compiler setups for linux and osx. Altogether this are 15 builds :shock:
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

No Mac yet, and after trying FreeCAD on several different Mac's (mac-book air 2017, iMac 2018) I have the impression there are some problems with Qt/coin/pivy. What I tested was in principle this:
https://vimeo.com/153393795 . Both machines were like the result shown in the video with the python3-bug.

I guess finding the root of the problem won't be easy. There are many things that could cause this problem. (qt5, deprecated opengl on mac, coin, pivy, ...) As solving this problem will most likely need a lot of hours I won't shift my development station to mac and stay on linux for now. So I can't work on the conda-.app-bundle and also the gcc7-port won't get ready soon. So sorry mac-guys for my unfulfilled promises. Hopefully I find a solution in the next year.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 am Did you receive a Mac? If not, would a Mac Mini do? If so I can try to get one for you.
If you find a good offer for a mac mini I am absolutely interested 2012-2017, 128gb ssd would be nice. (I am also willing to pay a little amount -> up to 200€)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

looo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:47 am If you find a good offer for a mac mini I am absolutely interested 2012-2017, 128gb ssd would be nice. (I am also willing to pay a little amount -> up to 200€)
If you want to pay for it, things will get (very) complicated :lol: . It will take at least two more weeks to get things straight, but I'm confident to get one for you. You can invest the money in a ssd.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 pm If you want to pay for it, things will get (very) complicated
Ok, so I guess fighting for updated Mac-os conda-packages is the easier way to give something back...
chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 pm but I'm confident to get one for you. You can invest the money in a ssd.
Sounds good.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

After a long fight with the netgen-package I finally understood the reason for the failing osx-build. This is because of a switch to static libpython. Regarding conda this will improve computation-time (20% speed up) [1].

If I have some time I will create a fork of the netgen-feedstock [2] and create weekly builds for the library (and pull them on freecad/label/dev) Netgen-devs really need some more cross-plattform testing and also the compatibility with freecad has to be tested more often.

[1] https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.i ... 57P4uNWyCU
[2] https://github.com/conda-forge/netgen-feedstock
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 am After a long fight with the netgen-package I finally understood the reason for the failing osx-build. This is because of a switch to static libpython. Regarding conda this will improve computation-time (20% speed up) [1].
Nice! I posted this to https://ngsolve.org/forum/ngspy-forum/7 ... g-prs#1395 in hopes of getting the netgen devs needed attention.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote:
@looo i found Python_3 on the wiki
Is it still up to date?
It's not linked to any other wiki pages so I'm not sure how much people see it. I'm asking because I'm looking for a resource to share with devs that are interested in porting to py3
see https://github.com/Rentlau/WorkFeature-WB/issues/3
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs