**FIXED***Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: **FIXED***Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by NormandC »

I realize that I didn't thank Kurt for his efforts in updating the PPAs to Qt 5.

Thanks Kurt!

I'm very curious to see how the Py2/Py3 builds will work out.
Paul G

Re: **FIXED***Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by Paul G »

This is not fixed for me. On Ubuntu 18.10
I deleted the Freecad Daily PPA and purged all the dependencies and re-installed Freecad Daily.
With the same failure to start .

Code: Select all

During initialization the error /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide2/QtCore.x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: _Z23init_QRandomGenerator64P7_object occurred in /usr/lib/freecad-daily/Mod/Tux/InitGui.py
could not import module 'PySide2.QtCore'
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Paul G wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 pm This is not fixed for me. On Ubuntu 18.10
I deleted the Freecad Daily PPA and purged all the dependencies and re-installed Freecad Daily.
With the same failure to start .

Code: Select all

During initialization the error /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide2/QtCore.x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: _Z23init_QRandomGenerator64P7_object occurred in /usr/lib/freecad-daily/Mod/Tux/InitGui.py
could not import module 'PySide2.QtCore'
Yep, I'm aware of this one and with any luck will have it fixed tonight.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 pm I realize that I didn't thank Kurt for his efforts in updating the PPAs to Qt 5.

Thanks Kurt!

I'm very curious to see how the Py2/Py3 builds will work out.
Thanks for your appreciation! I'm very curious as well, especially to see how it impacts build times.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Paul G wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 pm
Your issue should be fixed with the latest version of pyside2, the 0ppa3 update. Can you try?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Yes it's working fine now.
Many thanks for the work you and others have put in to correct these problems. :D
trevelyon

Post by trevelyon »

I'm not sure if others are seeing this but since my upgrade to 1:0.17.13541-1ppa10~ubuntu18.04.1 menu option tools->save picture outputs just a blank white page when saving a picture as png or jpg files. This was working in 1:0.17.13541-1ppa3~ubuntu18.04.1

Is there a way to revert to ppa3? I really need to print some models soon. I'm happy to help troubleshoot this issue should anyone start working on it. Thanks,
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

trevelyon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 am I'm not sure if others are seeing this but since my upgrade to 1:0.17.13541-1ppa10~ubuntu18.04.1 menu option tools->save picture outputs just a blank white page when saving a picture as png or jpg files. This was working in 1:0.17.13541-1ppa3~ubuntu18.04.1

Is there a way to revert to ppa3? I really need to print some models soon. I'm happy to help troubleshoot this issue should anyone start working on it. Thanks,
This is likely related to Qt5 and graphic drivers. If i remember correctly some hardware is affected by this and some is not. What you can do is to use the PPA based AppImage for now, as it still uses Qt4.
trevelyon

Post by trevelyon »

I don't see any packages named AppImage in the freecad PPAs and I don't have a package named AppImage on my system currently.
trevelyon

Post by trevelyon »

OK, figured out what an AppImage is. Thanks for the info, I'll use it as a work-around if I need that function again before it's fixed in the PPA packages. If there's anything I can do to help debug the packages let me know. I'm assuming we want to fix this in the packages in the long run.