**FIXED***Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by NormandC »

kkremitzki wrote:
This is as good a place as any to mention this. It seems you forgot to update the gitversioning branch when you launched the last freecad-daily build (freecad-daily_0.18~beta1+git201901020019~ubuntu18.04.1).

The FC info is wrong (revision number and hash). It is actually built with at least 2 more commits, specifically git commit ccf99f57.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15528 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1f30c218e65d605e7306dc82732cb7d83bb6bb00
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
mrvanes

Re: Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by mrvanes »

I too, can confirm that freecad PPA is now in a deplorable state. 0.17 is uninstallable in cosmic (my current ubuntu version), my expat was downgraded due to the svg import bug. Today, 0.17 would crash on load of certain file (Assertion (SoBase::classTypeId != SoType::badType()) and 0.18 has a broken Draft WB... Luckily, the official appimage still works.
btw: I haven't configured freecad-community repo, this all started while using freecad-stable...

Good luck fixing the builds!
francoislark

Post by francoislark »

Same for me, freecad crashes while selecting draft or arch workbench. Found following message in log:

freecad: SoType.cpp :739 : SbBool SoType::isDerivedFrom(SoType) const: l'assertion « !this->isBad() » a échoué.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
sket

Post by sket »

is there a quick solution?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

There is some strangeness going on with the PPA--the build fails when I upload it, then succeeds when it's triggered again, but fails to upload the built package, all without me changing anything...

It should be possible to do sudo apt-mark hold pivy and then sudo apt install python-pivy=0.5.0~v609hg-4 as a temporary workaround.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
vkutscher

Post by vkutscher »

Hello everybody....
my intention was to switch from kubuntu to fedora. So i installed a Fedora29Workstation to my Laptop ( Acer Aspire 7750G ) with changable SSD.
Believe me....Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS is the only OS with no trouble.... My Spacenavigator works fine with KDE.
Trouble with Kubuntu 18.10 too and the problem with no LongTermSupport.
Other Desktops for Ubuntu won´t run with spacenavd. Problems like adminrights etc..missing modules...to go crazy.
My recommendation:
Use daily AppImages or the official version from the Freecad-Website. Avoid the official PPA´s.

To my surprise-the Fedora Script for FC-Daily worked fine....but that was the only positive.

After tests with Fedora/Debian i´am cured. Thats my personal opinion. Never change a running system...After all this years with Kubuntu i don´t need another System.
Windows10 works fine for my family...not for me.
Opensource is the best idea and my favorite. The Cura Software for 3d-printing works fine too in work with Freecad. What more do you need.
vkutscher
Redwitz-Bavaria-Germany
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

vkutscher wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:36 pm Use daily AppImages or the official version from the Freecad-Website. Avoid the official PPA´s.
That might be sensible for now, but not in general. For years(!) using the PPAs brought an always running stable and a most up-to-date daily version without any troubles.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vkutscher

Post by vkutscher »

yes. thatś right what you say.
itś like in the real world....Everything is crazy-the madness and the chaos reigns.
The quality of the operating system suffers at the moment. Like everything.Speed ​​goes before quality.
Thatś the real problem.
vkutscher
Redwitz-Bavaria-Germany
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Volker, you have placed your email adress in the signature. Please note that this forum is under heavy surveillance of spammers who will be glad to use it. Serious members can deal without it by using private messages in case they have to contact you directly.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that Py2/Qt4 AppImage is based on Ubuntu 14.04 daily PPA. Therefore logic one or another doesn't make all that much sense. ;) AppImage doesn't get installed on the system and therefore if there are issues the AppImage itself won't run as expected. That much is true. Said that i am sure that the situation with the stable/daily PPA will get sorted out over time. In the future it likely makes sense to first enable and test changes on personal PPAs. As when it comes to packaging the only thing you can rely on is it won't work in the first try.