**FIXED***Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by kkremitzki »

triplus wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:40 pm In the future it likely makes sense to first enable and test changes on personal PPAs. As when it comes to packaging the only thing you can rely on is it won't work in the first try.
Part of the problem is that I already tested the same procedure personally and in the daily PPA, but something about the stable PPA is resulting in the same steps having different results, even without any changes on my behalf between subsequent attempts; for example the i386 build is working for some reason...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Latest freecad-community update broke *all* versions of FreeCAD on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by triplus »

I took a quick look and there is a dependency missing (python-pyside2.qtwidgets) in control file, compared to the daily builds. There is a difference with -DBUILD_FLAT_MESH=ON in rules file. This two observations aren't related to the issues you are having with stable PPA builds, i noticed the difference and i mentioned it.

What i do wonder is what would happen if you would bump compat (file) level to 11 for daily builds or lower it to 7 for stable builds. If you would start experiencing the same issues with daily builds, like the documentation related issue and issues currently affecting stable builds. And if that would be resolved for stable builds.

Anyway IMHO i would revert FreeCAD 0.17 stable PPA builds to use Py2/Qt4. Once FreeCAD 0.18 will get released (did that already happen?) i feel that FreeCAD 0.18 will just start to work on stable PPA in the same way it works now for daily builds. Therefore is it worth investing an effort in fixing a problem, we basically don't have anymore?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:40 am Anyway IMHO i would revert FreeCAD 0.17 stable PPA builds to use Py2/Qt4.
As I wrote in the first page of this topic, the problem is the new python-pivy_0.6.4-0ppa2 package which is built against the new libcoin80c library on which freecad-daily now depends. This new python-pivy is incompatible with libcoin80v5 on which freecad-stable is built.

Would there be a conflict building freecad-stable with libcoin80c (and the new python-pivy) but with Qt4? If not, it might be sensible.

We should also keep in mind that when 0.18 is released (hopefully this month?), it will replace 0.17 in the freecad-stable PPA, so this problem will solve itself.
Rnee

Post by Rnee »

1st post, i' am absolutely new to Ubuntu and Freecad (or even CAD/CAM) Using both not even 2 month's now. I really enjoyed Freecad and all problems i encounterd could be solved by reading this excellent forum. (I mean this : there are very good explanation's)

Now i encounter the following :
Until yesterday 0.17 (latest from website) worked with no trouble's.
Yesterday i installed some Ubuntu updates and Visual Studio Code / Platformio.
Freecad 0.17 starts up showing normal complete "start screen" but then immediately stops
I uninstalled 0.17 , Visual Studio Code / Platformio.
Installed 017 again, but doesn't work, it flashes again

Now i installed 0.18 daily build and this works but is slow on my machine.

I have some questions about this, witch i hope anyone could answer :
- Is this the same problem as described in this topic ? Can i repair it ?
- is it because of Ubuntu or VSC/Platformio ?
- can i safely reinstall VSC/Platformio again with Freecad 0.18 ?

Thank you.

Current running :
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15592 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a7c0f4bc5b62ec304a5855796ca3d10a42c7a46e
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
reox

Post by reox »

I managed to build freecad-daily now on debian sid. But I have the same issue there:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x378e0) [0x7f5d89e3e8e0]

How is this possible? If you say the problem is python-pivy from ppa, then this should resolve if all versions from debian are used - right?
It used coin3 4.0.0~CMake~6f54f1602475+ds1-1

sorry, the confusion was on my side. Obviously I did not had the right version of python-pivy installed. Using 0.6.4-1 now and it works fine.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

reox wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:32 pm I managed to build freecad-daily now on debian sid. But I have the same issue there:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x378e0) [0x7f5d89e3e8e0]

How is this possible? If you say the problem is python-pivy from ppa, then this should resolve if all versions from debian are used - right?
It used coin3 4.0.0~CMake~6f54f1602475+ds1-1

sorry, the confusion was on my side. Obviously I did not had the right version of python-pivy installed. Using 0.6.4-1 now and it works fine.
Good to hear it's resolved. If you're using Debian in general you should be very careful to mix in PPAs, and if you're using Unstable in particular you shouldn't need to as that version should already be using the newest pivy. However it looks like FreeCAD in Testing might be broken right now since the migration of pivy 0.6.4 is blocked by patchelf.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 am As I wrote in the first page of this topic, the problem is the new python-pivy_0.6.4-0ppa2 package which is built against the new libcoin80c library on which freecad-daily now depends. This new python-pivy is incompatible with libcoin80v5 on which freecad-stable is built.
Exactly, and the problem is I can't just delete the package in the PPA, once it's updated on people's systems. But I've just updated the stable PPA to force pivy < 0.6.4 and use Qt 4 builds again which should hopefully resolve this for now.
Would there be a conflict building freecad-stable with libcoin80c (and the new python-pivy) but with Qt4? If not, it might be sensible.
I've never tried but I don't think it would work since the new pivy depends on a new soqt which depends on Qt 5.
We should also keep in mind that when 0.18 is released (hopefully this month?), it will replace 0.17 in the freecad-stable PPA, so this problem will solve itself.
Exactly, that's my hope as well. I've gotten the simultaneous Python 2 & 3 builds figured out, too, so as soon as 0.18 is released that will be available (for Ubuntu 18.04 and above.) One can switch between which version is "freecad" via sudo update-alternatives --config freecad.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:15 pm But I've just updated the stable PPA to force pivy < 0.6.4 and use Qt 4 builds again which should hopefully resolve this for now.
But then this will break the freecad-daily package! Remember, we encouraged people to install both PPAs at the same time. I have both installed and many others do.

This is a catch-22...
Last edited by NormandC on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

BTW Kurt,

:point_down:
NormandC wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 pm But then this will break the freecad-daily package! Remember, we encouraged people to install both PPAs at the same time. I have both installed and many others do.

This is a catch-22...
Yeah, it's not ideal, but at the very least this just shifts the breakage from the stable PPA to only the daily PPA not working and only when they're co-installed. And like you said, this will hopefully be temporary. I just wanted to get stable fixed since it's been broken for too long.