Netgen, compile FreeCAD on Debian Buster with Netgen

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Netgen, compile FreeCAD on Debian Buster with Netgen

Post by bernd »

as a follows up of this topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 55#p279616 I try to compile FreeCAD with Netgen. Without Netgen everything works fine. Here is what I used as cmake ...

Code: Select all

cmake  -DBUILD_QT5=1  -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE="/usr/bin/python3"  -DOCCT_CMAKE_FALLBACK=True  -DBUILD_FEM_NETGEN=1  -DNETGEN_ROOT=/opt/netgen  ../freecad

on compile I get an error

[ 42%] Building CXX object src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/CMakeFiles/NETGENPlugin.dir/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp.o
/home/hugo/Documents/dev/freecad/freecadbhb_dev/freecad/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_NETGEN_2D.cpp:47:10: fatal error: meshing.hpp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
 #include <meshing.hpp>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
/home/hugo/Documents/dev/freecad/freecadbhb_dev/freecad/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp:80:10: fatal error: occgeom.hpp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
 #include <occgeom.hpp>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

but the files are in place ...

$ ls /opt/netgen/include/occ/occgeom.hpp 
/opt/netgen/include/occ/occgeom.hpp
$

$ ls /opt/netgen/include/meshing/meshing.hpp 
/opt/netgen/include/meshing/meshing.hpp
$

How do I tell cmake to search for netgen includes in /opt/netgen/include ?

ahh on cmake I get a strange warning in the regard of netgen

-- We guess that libmed was built using hdf5-openmpi version
CMake Warning (dev) at CMakeLists.txt:770 (find_package):
  Policy CMP0074 is not set: find_package uses <PackageName>_ROOT variables.
  Run "cmake --help-policy CMP0074" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy
  command to set the policy and suppress this warning.

CMake variable NETGEN_ROOT is set to:

/opt/netgen

For compatibility, CMake is ignoring the variable.
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Found Netgen: /opt/netgen/lib/cmake/netgen
-- Checking for module 'Coin'
reox

Re: Netgen, compile FreeCAD on Debian Buster with Netgen

Post by reox »

What is the full line passed to gcc? I would bet that the netgen include path is not set.

Edit: I tried this, and I get the same error:

[ 70%] Building CXX object src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/CMakeFiles/NETGENPlugin.dir/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp.o
cd /build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh && /usr/bin/c++  -DCSFDB -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DLIN -DNETGENPlugin_EXPORTS -DNO_PARALLEL_THREADS -DOCCGEOMETRY -DOCC_CONVERT_SIGNALS -D_OCC64 -I/build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu -I/build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src -I/build/FreeCAD/src -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/SMDS -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/Driver -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/DriverUNV -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/DriverDAT -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/DriverSTL -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/StdMeshers -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/inc -I/build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh -I/usr/include/occt -I/usr/include/netgen -I/usr/include/vtk-6.3 -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/include/hdf5/openmpi -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include -I/usr/include/jsoncpp -I/usr/include/freetype2  -Wall -Wextra -Wno-write-strings -Wall -DHAVE_SWIG=1 -fpermissive -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/FreeCAD=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -std=c++11 -D_OCC64 -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-switch -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-comment -Wno-unused-parameter -O3 -DNDEBUG -fPIC   -I/usr/include/openmpi -I/usr/include/hdf5/openmpi -pthread -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi -o CMakeFiles/NETGENPlugin.dir/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp.o -c /build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp
/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp:80:10: fatal error: occgeom.hpp: No such file or directory
 #include <occgeom.hpp>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

I have netgen-headers installed. But it looks like /usr/include/netgen/occ is missing as include path... so somewhere either the cmake scripts are wrong or I miss some parameter for cmake too.
Last edited by reox on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
reox

Post by reox »

I think i see where this discrepancy comes from... The cmake config FindNETGEN.cmake explicitly adds the subdirectories in /usr/include/netgen, while the cmake configuration supplied with netgen does not. Thus, if you are using netgen directly from debian, find_package(Netgen) will return indeed a package thus this code in FindNETGEN.cmake is not executed.

But what would be the correct way now? Setting the subdirectories in the include path or defining the includes as occ/occgeom.hpp?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I tried to set the netgen lib and include dirs with cmake option -D but no succes the only directory set is The Netgen_DIR variable. Even cardcoded in findNETGEN.cmake it is not set.

How is it possible to set the netgen include and lib directories ?
reox

Post by reox »

I tried to patch this in the cmake file of salomesmesh but found out that the header files are in two places, see https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/n ... s/filelist

The files in /usr/include/netgen/include seem to include the other files again.
Thus this should do the trick:

--- a/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -20,6 +20,10 @@ if (VTK_OPTIONS)
     add_definitions(${VTK_OPTIONS})
 endif()

+if (NOT NETGEN_INCLUDE_DIR)
+    MESSAGE("Netgen include dir is not set!" FATAL_ERROR)
+endif(NOT NETGEN_INCLUDE_DIR)
+
 include_directories(
     src/SMDS
     src/Driver
@@ -35,6 +39,17 @@ include_directories(
     ${OCC_INCLUDE_DIR}
     ${NGLIB_INCLUDE_DIR}
     ${NETGEN_INCLUDE_DIRS}
+    ${NETGEN_INCLUDE_DIR}/include
     ${ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR}
     ${VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS}
     ${HDF5_INCLUDE_DIR}

But this raises a ton of new errors like:

Building CXX object src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/CMakeFiles/NETGENPlugin.dir/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp.o
cd /build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh && /usr/bin/ccache /usr/lib/ccache/c++  -DCSFDB -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DLIN -DNETGENPlugin_EXPORTS -DNO_PARALLEL_THREADS -DOCCGEOMETRY -DOCC_CONVERT_SIGNALS -D_OCC64 -I/build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu -I/build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src -I/build/FreeCAD/src -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/SMDS -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/Driver -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/DriverUNV -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/DriverDAT -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/DriverSTL -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/StdMeshers -I/build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/inc -I/build/FreeCAD/obj-x86_64-linux-gnu/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh -I/usr/include/occt -I/usr/include/netgen -I/usr/include/netgen/include -I/usr/include/vtk-6.3 -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/include/hdf5/openmpi -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include -I/usr/include/jsoncpp -I/usr/include/freetype2  -Wall -Wextra -Wno-write-strings -Wall -DHAVE_SWIG=1 -fpermissive -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/FreeCAD=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -std=c++11 -D_OCC64 -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-switch -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-comment -Wno-unused-parameter -O3 -DNDEBUG -fPIC   -I/usr/include/openmpi -I/usr/include/hdf5/openmpi -pthread -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi -o CMakeFiles/NETGENPlugin.dir/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp.o -c /build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/netgen/include/../general/myadt.hpp:17,
                 from /usr/include/netgen/include/../meshing/../include/myadt.hpp:1,
                 from /usr/include/netgen/include/../meshing/meshing.hpp:6,
                 from /usr/include/netgen/include/meshing.hpp:1,
                 from /usr/include/netgen/include/../occ/occgeom.hpp:12,
                 from /usr/include/netgen/include/occgeom.hpp:1,
                 from /build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp:80:
/usr/include/netgen/include/../general/../include/mydefs.hpp:26: warning: "DLL_HEADER" redefined
       #define DLL_HEADER __attribute__ ((visibility ("default")))

In file included from /build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/inc/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.hxx:42,
                 from /build/FreeCAD/src/3rdParty/salomesmesh/src/NETGENPlugin/NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp:30:
/usr/include/netgen/nglib.h:33: note: this is the location of the previous definition
    #define DLL_HEADER

For me this looks like that netgen requires some (better) import guards.

It is also interesting, that the header files directly in /usr/include/netgen are from libnglib-dev but the others are from netgen-headers, which depends on libnglib-dev.
The problem seems to be, if somewhere nglib.h is included, the build breaks as nglib.h redefines stuff from netgen-headers but does not guard it.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

from Windows, I will try to post linux later
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (77.07 KiB) Viewed 897 times
The key is that the headers are in 2 places, there are a lot of paths to be set for the headers from the netgen headers package,you can get the paths from reox's link.
Finding the netgen-headers has always been a problem.
"fight the good fight"
reox

Post by reox »

But what about the double defines? It looks like you should either use netgen-headers if you want to use the internal functions or libnglib-dev if you want to use nglib, i.e. external functions. but salomesmesh seems to use both, thus it get's confused which headers to use.
There is nginterface_v2.hpp in netgen-headers but it has a different namespace than nglib.h. idk which one would be correct or if there is a hack to make it work.
I tried to include all directories except /usr/include/netgen/include but it looks like that some classes include from the include directory, so you end up with the same problem.