[Coordination] Ubuntu freecad-stable PPA update to 0.18

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: [Coordination] Ubuntu freecad-stable PPA update to 0.18

Post by NormandC »

reox wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 am ah I see, thats why I changed to py3 only, because building both was a mess...
Indeed, I'm getting really fed up with it. :|

I have very rudimentary (almost non-existent) knowledge of makefiles and the general build process. All I know is the methodology to create a Debian package.

From what I can tell, what trips me up is this: in the rules file, I need to add these two lines under override_dh_auto_configure:

Code: Select all

dh_auto_configure -- $(extra_flags)
	cp -f src/Build/Version.h obj-$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)/src/Build/Version.h
Otherwise, the build fails with this error:

make[4] : entering directory « /home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/debian/build-py2 »
[ 61%] Building CXX object src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/dxf.cpp.o
cd /home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/debian/build-py2/src/Mod/Import/App && /usr/bin/ccache /usr/bin/c++  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DImport_EXPORTS -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -D_OCC64 -I/home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/debian/build-py2 -I/home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/debian/build-py2/src -I/home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/src -I/home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/debian/build-py2/src/Mod/Import/App -I/usr/include/occt -I/usr/include/python2.7 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5 -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtCore -isystem /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g++ -isystem /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtXml  -Wall -Wextra -Wno-write-strings -Wall -DHAVE_SWIG=1 -fpermissive -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -std=c++11 -D_OCC64 -O2 -g -DNDEBUG -fPIC   -I/usr/include/openmpi -I/usr/include/hdf5/openmpi -pthread -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openmpi/include/openmpi -fPIC -std=gnu++11 -o CMakeFiles/Import.dir/dxf.cpp.o -c /home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/src/Mod/Import/App/dxf.cpp
/home/normand2/build/freecad-0.18/src/Mod/Import/App/dxf.cpp:14:10: fatal error: src/Build/Version.h: No file or folder of this type
 #include <src/Build/Version.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/build.make:266: recipe for target 'src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/dxf.cpp.o' failed
make[4]: *** [src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/dxf.cpp.o] Error 1
But, when I add these two lines, I get the Shiboken2Config error.

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly in the rules file?

Here's how I added it, I tried adding it first then last as below:

override_dh_auto_configure:
	dh_auto_configure --builddirectory=debian/build-py2 -- \
	    $(extra_flags) \
	    $(py2_flags)
	dh_auto_configure --builddirectory=debian/build-py3 -- \
	    $(extra_flags) \
	    $(py3_flags)
	dh_auto_configure -- $(extra_flags)
	cp -f src/Build/Version.h obj-$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)/src/Build/Version.h
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

At this point I'm seriously considering abandoning the Python2/Python3 dual build and only build a Qt5/Python3 package for Ubuntu 18.04/18.10. It's been 13 days since the creation of the 0.18 release branch, and I have yet to build this successfully. I'm just not as resourceful nor as knowledgeable as Kurt.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

reox wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 pm btw: maybe you can steal some stuff from my repo here: https://github.com/reox/FreeCAD_gitpack ... ct-qt5-py3 I use it to create daily builds for debian sid.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I only now had a more attentive look at your packaging files. You're building for buster, right? I just noticed that you have enabled netgen, something we haven't been able to for the past 3 or 4 years on the PPA. Kurt uploaded the same netgen package version 6.2.1804 in the freecad-daily PPA, what we're missing compared to your debian/control build dependencies is python3-netgen which seems to have been left out. Is it working well for you?

Thanks.
reox

Post by reox »

NormandC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:12 pm
reox wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 pm btw: maybe you can steal some stuff from my repo here: https://github.com/reox/FreeCAD_gitpack ... ct-qt5-py3 I use it to create daily builds for debian sid.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I only now had a more attentive look at your packaging files. You're building for buster, right? I just noticed that you have enabled netgen, something we haven't been able to for the past 3 or 4 years on the PPA. Kurt uploaded the same netgen package version 6.2.1804 in the freecad-daily PPA, what we're missing compared to your debian/control build dependencies is python3-netgen which seems to have been left out. Is it working well for you?

Thanks.
No I'm building on sid - maybe buster will already work, I would need to check.
The netgen work kind of... I reported one bug here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=924300 bascially ldconfig does not find the files, which is fixable by creating /etc/ld.so.conf.d/netgen.conf:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen/
Other than that, it looks like the tetrahedral mesh does not work:
2019-03-24-091809_678x524_scrot.png
2019-03-24-091809_678x524_scrot.png (132.94 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
If you have a testcase which should produce something useful, I'm happy to test it!

I have the dependecy as a build dependency: https://github.com/reox/FreeCAD_gitpack ... ontrol#L61
I installed it also on my workstation, but does not note any difference...
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Sorry Normand, I probably could have saved you a lot of grief by trying to get to this sooner. I'll take a stab at it today and see how things go.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Kurt.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Unfortunately I had something come up which ate up most of my day, but I've created a repository on Launchpad which is mirroring itself from Salsa... need to double-check my 0.18 build from the 15th, if it's OK I can push it and create branches for 18.04 and 18.10 which can be maintained on Salsa, then create recipes which build from those branches. We'll see how things go tomorrow. If it works, this will make maintenance much, much easier.

Edit: https://code.launchpad.net/~freecad-mai ... ecad-salsa
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Kurt. What I wanted to do is to address what I consider issues for us about the Debian package:

1. It seems to remove the StartPage completely (its images are all commented out of freecad-common.install)
  2. It removes the example files (this is not good for new users, and we don't have to follow Debian's strict rules)
  3. It does not build with the Version.h file which means that the About FreeCAD info is incomplete. As one who still regularly provides help on the forum, I consider it an essential tool to know exactly what version of FreeCAD is used.
From my limited understanding of my current problems, point #3 is the one that is blocking me.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am Thanks Kurt. What I wanted to do is to address what I consider issues for us about the Debian package:

1. It seems to remove the StartPage completely (its images are all commented out of freecad-common.install)
  2. It removes the example files (this is not good for new users, and we don't have to follow Debian's strict rules)
  3. It does not build with the Version.h file which means that the About FreeCAD info is incomplete. As one who still regularly provides help on the forum, I consider it an essential tool to know exactly what version of FreeCAD is used.
From my limited understanding of my current problems, point #3 is the one that is blocking me.
Yep, these are all issues which need to be addressed. Here's my thoughts on them:
  1. I need to look more into this one but it's IMO #3 on priority.
  2. We can still use the Debian package as a base and then use the recipes system in Launchpad to add the examples back.
  3. This is very important, but until we get our first 0.18 version out the door, there can't be multiple versions of 0.18 with which to be confused about, so in a sense, it's not a blocker for the first release, but the second and any following releases (e.g. for daily builds of 0.19.)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Alright, a successful build. Now I just need to look into fixing the start page and re-adding the examples, then once it re-builds and I verify it's good it'll be ready to be uploaded to the stable PPA.