[Solved]Crash on opening a new document (Linux Mint 19)

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
derekb

[Solved]Crash on opening a new document (Linux Mint 19)

Post by derekb »

So I know that this has been discussed - but the last entry was 6 years ago and that seems a little long to be resurrecting a thread.

I installed the 0.17 AppImage on Mint 19. The graphics card is a GEForce 730 which is (according to Nvidia) 3D capable. It's running the latest 390 driver.

On first attempt I got the following error ...
freecad: gl.cpp:2354: const cc_glglue* cc_glglue_instance(int): Assertion `current_ctx && "Must have a current GL context when instantiating cc_glglue!! (Note: if you are using an old Mesa GL version, set the environment variable COIN_GL_NO_CURRENT_CONTEXT_CHECK to get around what may be a Mesa bug.)"' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I applied the export COIN_GL_NO_CURRENT_CONTEXT_CHECK=1 fix from 2013 and got the following error
freecad: gl.cpp:2399: const cc_glglue* cc_glglue_instance(int): Assertion `gi->versionstr && "could not call glGetString() -- no current GL context?"' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks
Derek
Last edited by jmaustpc on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [Solved] to topic title
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Crash on opening a new document (Linux Mint 19)

Post by jmaustpc »

derekb wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 am Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks
Derek
Hi Derek and welcome to FreeCAD.

Its been a long time now, many years, but I did have some issues with some "at the time quite old" Nvidia cards with 3d in FreeCAD. Not the issue to which you are referring ...but might help. Try changing your driver, 390 is the proprietary driver I think, try the Nouveau opensource driver. I found different results with different cards/drivers.

Jim
derekb

Re: Crash on opening a new document (Linux Mint 19)

Post by derekb »

Hey Jim

I tried it with some trepidation as the Nouveau driver has given me fits in the past with a multi-screen setup. They seem to have fixed that however and lo and behold I can open a new FreeCAD document. Now the real learning curve begins :)

Many thanks
Derek