Topic hijacked, I'm no longer interested in trying to maintain it

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Status of FreeCAD 0.18 Release

Post by NormandC »

dxp.dev wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 pm the link ends in a 404 github page "page not found" (I just tried now)
The link is fixed. The problem is that the packagers are making changes, updating installers and moving them, and they are not reporting here.
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

Thanks
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I've just updated the PPA for the 0.18 stable builds.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I understand that this release supports both Python2 and Python3, but I am having trouble getting it to work with Python 3. Could someone please clarify whether the same package should work with both 2 and 3 (surprise me) or should I be looking for a separate package on the PPA. If there is a separate package then a pointer to find it would be nice (Ubuntu). If it's not there yet just tell me to be patient.
iogui

Post by iogui »

PaulG wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm I understand that this release supports both Python2 and Python3, but I am having trouble getting it to work with Python 3. Could someone please clarify whether the same package should work with both 2 and 3 (surprise me) or should I be looking for a separate package on the PPA. If there is a separate package then a pointer to find it would be nice (Ubuntu). If it's not there yet just tell me to be patient.
It depends on your Ubuntu version. Please refer to this thread for a better clarification on this.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

PaulG wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm I understand that this release supports both Python2 and Python3, but I am having trouble getting it to work with Python 3. Could someone please clarify whether the same package should work with both 2 and 3 (surprise me) or should I be looking for a separate package on the PPA. If there is a separate package then a pointer to find it would be nice (Ubuntu). If it's not there yet just tell me to be patient.
The software is split into common packages, and packages specific to your Python version. Remove everything, then install only these packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt install freecad-common
sudo apt install freecad-runtime
sudo apt install freecad-python3
sudo apt install libfreecad-python3-0.18
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

There is no need to remove existing packages, unless the update failed somehow. freecad-python2 and libfreecad-python2-0.18 can cohabit with their Py3 counterpart. I think it's still useful to keep both.

To switch from one to the other:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config freecad
mwilding

Post by mwilding »

NormandC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm
dxp.dev wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 pm the link ends in a 404 github page "page not found" (I just tried now)
The link is fixed. The problem is that the packagers are making changes, updating installers and moving them, and they are not reporting here.
The link seems to be broken again for me.
TimCC

Post by TimCC »

Mac OS download link is still broken.

There is also no file located here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

I'm eager to give it a try. Anyone know where I can get the Mac file?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi TimCC, welcome to the forum. You should try the latest 0.19.16540 or newer. Up to that version we had rather frequent crashes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.