Topic hijacked, I'm no longer interested in trying to maintain it

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fosselius

Re: Topic hijacked, I'm no longer interested in trying to maintain it

Post by fosselius »

NormandC wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:25 pm Not anymore. I'm shutting down this topic. If you want to know why, read it in the first post. :evil:
i understand your frustration, but please rename the topic again, it looks horrible and makes the entire forum look bad..
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

fosselius wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:46 am
NormandC wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:25 pm Not anymore. I'm shutting down this topic. If you want to know why, read it in the first post. :evil:
i understand your frustration, but please rename the topic again, it looks horrible and makes the entire forum look bad..
I agree with @fosselius there are other ways to deal with this. You can lock the thread, you could partition out the offending posts in to a another thread and then lock the thread. Part of the confusion here is the way 0.18 has been released and we're seeing a manifestation of it. This is beside the fact that sometimes threads get hijacked and yes by forum regulars (I've done this myself and could work to improve this). But this unilateral and destructive decision born of frustration doesn't get it's needs met because people see disharmony more than they see your point. It sows confusion and anxiety and that's not necessary in this community.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

You can lock the thread, you could partition out the offending posts in to a another thread and then lock the thread.
No, sadly not as for some strange reason, NormandC is not a moderator..
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

NormandC is not a moderator for at least last 1 - 2 years i think...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

fosselius wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:46 am please rename the topic again, it looks horrible and makes the entire forum look bad..
I will not. I left it entirely to the moderators/admins. The fact that the topic is still pinned as a general announcement is exactly what I wanted to shed to light. Since my angered reply on Saturday, not a single moderator did anything.

You say my topic makes the forum look bad? :roll: :roll: :roll:

You don't like it? Then report my first post! :roll:

Kunda1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 am You can lock the thread, you could partition out the offending posts in to a another thread and then lock the thread.
Your cluelessness about how the forum works baffles me.

fosselius wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:46 pm No, sadly not as for some strange reason, NormandC is not a moderator..
I was an admin until 2015. I resigned for two reasons: freedom of speech, and because I was sick and tired of feeling like I was the only one who took the job of forum moderation seriously.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

NormandC wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:58 pm I was sick and tired of feeling like I was the only one who took the job of forum moderation seriously.
Maybe rename topic to start with XXX, that should get some attention ^_^
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I vote (if that counts for anything) that FreeCAD should have a code of conduct. If we don't address this, it is subject to becoming an obstacle for this project.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:58 pm I was an admin until 2015. I resigned for two reasons: freedom of speech, and because I was sick and tired of feeling like I was the only one who took the job of forum moderation seriously.
Man! You should do what you want to do, but by moderating you do protect freedom of speech, by doing the moderation job seriously you set the standards for the rest to follow.

It is not something that should come as new to you, you are one of the prominent helpers in the help forum and people follow you... and sometimes, somebody you helped may even become a forum regular or even a developer...

Aside from that, it is ok to feel angry and show it from time to time. I makes us all reflect :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I hadn't done anything with this topic, because 1) I had myself posted to it :oops: and 2) I was reluctant, because I had taken recently some questionable decisions. So I had hoped, someone else would take the coals out of the fire, as we say here. I have it now at least unpinned.

How should I proceed? I tend to completely delete the topic, and I had indeed thought about silently to do so, hoping that no one would realize, but after all that would have been a bad choice.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

my rule of thumb when moderating:

1. does the community gain from this/is there knowledge of value shared?
2. does the post move the project/community forward?

if no, either move to off-topic/other/etc section of forum or, DELETE.

I am very trigger happy on the delete button when there is a lot of emotions involved.. a lot tends to be written in the heat of the moment.. things best forgotten by all, and nothing is to gain from future readers.

if yes on 1 or 2, isolate, save what can be saved and remove the rest. see it as saving future readers some time..and there is always some grave digger that in a few years will bring back bad-will/memories..
Last edited by fosselius on Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.