Daily PPA for 0.19

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Daily PPA for 0.19

Post by easyw-fc »

vocx wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm I know it works because I just had this same problem with the PPA daily. I purged the packages and removed the old traces that I had of the previous packages and it eventually worked. I had added some files to the /usr/share/freecad-daily/ folder because I was testing some code, so it seems the purge didn't remove everything. After removing with rm -rf now it works. I suggest you keep trying. You can even remove the stable package. The user configuration files under your home folder $HOME/.FreeCAD should not be touched, so your preferences won't be modified.

See which packages you have installed with

Code: Select all

aptitude search freecad
then remove and reinstall everything after making sure the directories are empty.

sudo apt install --reinstall freecad-daily
As I did say in my previous post, this issue is present even on a VM I made with a fresh LinuxMint 19.1 and after installing freecad-daily without having installed anything before... so I couldn't know how to do more to solve this issue... I don't know if it is related to Mint or freecad-daily, but for sure it doesn't depend on previous installation or old files/folders....
vocx wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm
------

ArchIFC is a new submodule from Arch, so if it's not finding it, your installation is probably calling old files somewhere, so you need to make sure everything is on a clean state.
In fact I found that installing freecad-daily is not installing all the Arch files...
I have downloaded all the Arch dir from FreeCAD src/Mod git folder and copying all the files over the /usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Arch folder, I've reached to partially solve Arch issue...
Then trying to switch to Path WB I get the following error:
This operation requires OpenCamLib to be installed.
This operation requires OpenCamLib to be installed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 75, in Initialize
File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathGuiInit.py", line 69, in Startup
from PathScripts import PathSurfaceGui
File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSurfaceGui.py", line 27, in <module>
import PathScripts.PathSurface as PathSurface
File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSurface.py", line 101, in <module>
sys.exit(translate("Path_Surface", "This operation requires OpenCamLib to be installed."))
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

With regard to the Path Wb error, in Parameter Editor, BaseApp > Preferences > Mod > Path > EnableExperimentalFeatures should be False to stop PathSurface from attempting to load in the InitGui.py and it's OCL dependency unless I'm reading the code incorrectly.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:20 pm As I did say in my previous post, this issue is present even on a VM I made with a fresh LinuxMint 19.1 and after installing freecad-daily without having installed anything before... so I couldn't know how to do more to solve this issue... I don't know if it is related to Mint or freecad-daily, but for sure it doesn't depend on previous installation or old files/folders....
Damn. Well, that is troubling.

Remember that freecad-daily is just a metapackage that installs other packages.

I'd try installing the real packages

sudo apt install freecad-daily-python3 freecad-daily-common freecad-daily-runtime libfreecad-daily-python3-0.19
Then use dpkg to see what is supposed to be installed, and verify that the files are there.

dpkg -L freecad-daily-python3
dpkg -L freecad-daily-common
dpkg -L freecad-daily-runtime
dpkg -L libfreecad-daily-python3-0.19
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Sorry, this is a packaging problem... the files we install are listed almost all individually at https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... ily/debian in the *.install files, so when there are changes in the files produced by the builds it creates problems, like recently when Ship and Plot Workbenches were turned off and the installation procedure was trying to grab files that weren't there anymore.

I was able to verify this was a packaging problem because we use a --list-missing flag in the debian/rules file, so I checked the build recipe at https://code.launchpad.net/~freecad-mai ... dual-build and if you look at a recent build log you can see when you ctrl+f for --list-missing the list of missing files. These just need to get added to the right *.install files and it should be fixed for the next build.

We could change that flag to --fail-missing and avoid this in the future by forcing failures any time this happens.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all
kkremitzki wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 pm Sorry, this is a packaging problem...
Hi Kurt, For me the Daily PPA just automatically updated a few days ago and worked perfectly. But I only have standard FreeCAd without any add-ons at all. I thought I would mention this just in case it might help, might point to there being a problem related in some way to addons.

Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am Hi all
Hi Kurt, For me the Daily PPA just automatically updated a few days ago and worked perfectly. But I only have standard FreeCAd without any add-ons at all. I thought I would mention this just in case it might help, might point to there being a problem related in some way to addons.

Jim

Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
This is not related to any extra addons at all... As I stated before I did a clean VM with a clean LinuxMint 19.1 and I installed only freecad-daily... the issue is there. Probably in your pc you had left some Mod files of previous installation in /usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod that covered this issue...
@Jim, you should try to remove all your installation files as suggested by @vocx and you will be in the issue like me...
sudo apt purge -y \*freecad-daily\*
sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/freecad-daily
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/freecad-daily
kkremitzki wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 pm Sorry, this is a packaging problem...
thanks for going into this... I just moved from winz to linux because winz10 was bloated by unwanted updates, and I just felt in a messy in a, for me, quite new environment...
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Syres wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 pm With regard to the Path Wb error, in Parameter Editor, BaseApp > Preferences > Mod > Path > EnableExperimentalFeatures should be False to stop PathSurface from attempting to load in the InitGui.py and it's OCL dependency unless I'm reading the code incorrectly.
Hi Syres, this assumption is correct... but unfortunately if the Path WB doesn't get initialized at least once, this Parameter Editor doesn't even exist...
There should be a try: except: to handle this in case of import ocl would fail...
I'm going to add a PR to Path WB...
Thanks for the hint :)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

sliptonic wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:11 pm OCL is not incompatible with Python3. Markus and others worked to port it to python3 last year. The issue we're seeing is with packaging.
I had to entirely ditch my Linux Mint installation and switch to debian to get it to install, but once installed, it works as expected.
this is a PR 2157 to just check if OCL is working on the FC enviroinment and just skipping to load it in case of failure, letting Path WB to be loaded anyway.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Yesterday I was unable to make it work.

Today I was able to make it run by running:

dpkg -l | grep freecad
and purging everything being freecad related. In my system:

sudo apt-get remove --purge freecad-python3 freecad-daily-runtime freecad-daily-python3 freecad-daily-common libfreecad-daily-python3-0.19
Afterwards it just loaded:

OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (GNOME-Flashback:GNOME/gnome-flashback-metacity)
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

sgrogan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm
quick61 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm From where I sit, something seems rather broken.
Renato, had the same problem for the release https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 27#p300765
yes and with daily version 0.19 as well ... :)
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you