FreeCAD 18.1/Ubuntu 18.04.2. LTS: no workbenches after install

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 18.1/Ubuntu 18.04.2. LTS: no workbenches after install

Post by triplus »

looo wrote:
What do you think, should FreeCAD by default search only on some custom search path locations, for user installed modules? Such as for example .FreeCAD/Ext location on Linux? To try to avoid such possible clashes, or not.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:23 pm
looo wrote:
What do you think, should FreeCAD by default search only on some custom search path locations, for user installed modules? Such as for example .FreeCAD/Ext location on Linux? To try to avoid such possible clashes, or not.
My take on this is that distros should never have multiple versions of the same package installed. This is the root of all these issues. So having multiple Pyside, multiple qt, multiple python in one environment leads to inconsistent systems.
If you need this it's best to use virtual environments.

Trying to solve this in freecad might be possible, but has potential to introduce additional problems for existing solutions.

Installing Pyside with pip is in my eyes a no-go as long as you are not working with virtual envs and know what you are doing.

So again and again: a distribution should not allow to install different versions of the same package. Using different package-manager it's up to the user to not get himself into troubles. Trying to workaround this at the application level should not happen.
SASOutoF

Post by SASOutoF »

I had the same problem but using root I solve the issue. Command line:

~$ sudo -i
~# ./FreeCad.AppImage
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

looo wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 am Installing Pyside with pip is in my eyes a no-go as long as you are not working with virtual envs and know what you are doing.

So again and again: a distribution should not allow to install different versions of the same package. Using different package-manager it's up to the user to not get himself into troubles. Trying to workaround this at the application level should not happen.
The "problem" i guess is Qt people have a PySide2 wheel set up and hence such clashes are bound to happen. Likely the same could be said for a few other packages, that are PIP installable and available by default in FreeCAD binaries. The truth is most of the time you actually do want for this to happen. Installing some dependency or a FreeCAD module with PIP and for FreeCAD to pick it up automatically. But on the other hand i guess issues, such as discussed here, will often be experienced, hence considering:

Code: Select all

pip3 install PySide2 --user --target
Could make sense in the future. Target being something like .FreeCAD/Ext.

SASOutoF wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:32 pm I had the same problem but using root I solve the issue. Command line:

~$ sudo -i
~# ./FreeCad.AppImage
Bad idea on multiple levels and should be avoided.