[SOLVED]FreeCAD 0.19: graphic problem report

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oddtopus

[SOLVED]FreeCAD 0.19: graphic problem report

Post by oddtopus »

I tried to run the win64 build of the pre-release 0.19 on a Windows 8 system: the so-called "portable" one, just zipped without installation script.
First the program started smoothly and the start menu shows-up.
Then if I push "create new" or try to do anything like opening one existing file, all the window of application gets black and the following log is issued.
Unhandled Base::Exception caught in GUIApplication::notify.
The error message is: Access violation
Finally, by clicking around the screen or resizing the window, the elements of interface such as menus and toolbars appear again but the graphic scene remains black.
The system configuration is:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16267 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ddb335cfe057336f1958d68126bb0471328d735c
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
That does not happen with Linux Mint 19 on the same machine, using the Appimage.
Is there a work-around that I can try?

It's worth to mention also that I experienced similar problems before when carrying one already-installed folder of FC (previous releases) from a computer to another just by copying. So I guess there is something that installer does in Win-os which is not done just by copying the files. I wonder also if this fashion of "portable" programs is a sounding way to distribute software.
Last edited by oddtopus on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.19: graphic problem report

Post by chrisb »

This sounds like a graphics driver issue. Did your system receive updates recently, perhaps automated? We have seen here similar things with Nvidia or Radeon cards.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
oddtopus

Re: FreeCAD 0.19: graphic problem report

Post by oddtopus »

chrisb wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 am This sounds like a graphics driver issue. Did your system receive updates recently, perhaps automated? We have seen here similar things with Nvidia or Radeon cards.
Nope. But I had to disable multithreading in Linux to run FreeCAD by setting an env variable (env LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=true).
Maybe it's necessary also in Win (but don't know how!) or it's depending how FC calls some graphic function.
I use a Radeon 7 on an A12 chip, but anyway release 0.17 is running in the same system without headaches.

Update: after a short struggling I find it was definetly a matter of graphic card drivers: seems that the chip is not very supported for that os. Now it's running with the "minimal" installation provided by AMD which is sufficiently generic.