Can't run FreeCad 0.18 on manjaro linux

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
h3lium

Can't run FreeCad 0.18 on manjaro linux

Post by h3lium »

Hi folks,

This is my first post here. Please bear with me...

There is an aur package for freecad 0.18 in manjaro's / arch's repository that I installed. It made use of the source code to compile FreeCad itself. It compiled and installed fine. However, when I try to start it there always shows up a flicker of a frame and than its gone.

When I start FreeCad from the command line I get the following error message:

free(): invalid pointer

I can't make out what's wrong. I guess it's recommended to compile FreeCad again, but this time with the compile flag set for debugging; though I would not know how to do that exactly. I hope someone can help me out here. Best, of course, would be to take the easy road without having to compile again.

I have searched for quite a while now and couldn't find the slightest hint on what to do. I'm really eager to try FreeCad out!
So any help is welcome!

Many thanks in advance and greetings,

Andreas
vocx
Veteran

Re: Can't run FreeCad 0.18 on manjaro linux

Post by vocx »

h3lium wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm Hi folks,

There is an aur package for freecad 0.18 in manjaro's / arch's repository that I installed. It made use of the source code to compile FreeCad itself. It compiled and installed fine. However, when I try to start it there always shows up a flicker of a frame and than its gone.
Why do you need to compile? Isn't there a pre-compiled version available?

In the release page there is an AppImage that doesn't need installation or anything, you just make it executable and run it.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

h3lium wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm There is an aur package for freecad 0.18 in manjaro's / arch's repository that I installed.
Honestly, you would be better to contact the package maintainer, if someone here knows the answer to your questions then it is alright to discuss it here but its a bit like ringing your car manufacturer to ask a question about the car's tyres.

You could try compiling the code directly from our Github git repository "master" branch, if you like? That way you could take advantage of the many updates pushes regularly. So long as you compile "out of tree" (in a different directory from where the source code is downloaded) subsequent update compile times will be very much reduced as your system only has to compile the changes, i.e. the parts of FreeCAD effected by the updates.
h3lium wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm It compiled and installed fine.

Maybe it didn't. Did you get any GCC error messages etc. while it compiled?

Jim
h3lium

Post by h3lium »

vocx wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 am
h3lium wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm Hi folks,

Why do you need to compile? Isn't there a pre-compiled version available?

In the release page there is an AppImage that doesn't need installation or anything, you just make it executable and run it.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
Thanks a lot. I didn't know that AppImage is meant to be run without installation. There is an AppImage in the repository for version 0.17. So I installed that and it works. Thanks for your reply and help!

Greetings!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

h3lium wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 pm Thanks a lot. I didn't know that AppImage is meant to be run without installation. There is an AppImage in the repository for version 0.17. So I installed that and it works. Thanks for your reply and help!

Greetings!
AppImages are a relatively new way of distributing software packages in the Linux world. They are universal packages, so to speak. This means you don't need to compile software for each platform; you can just distribute the same AppImage to any Linux distribution, and it should run there.

What I mean to say is, you don't need to get an AppImage from the Manjaro repository; you should get the AppImage from FreeCAD directly https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

And you should use version 0.18 which is the most recent stable version. If FreeCAD 0.17 still works, fine, but v0.18 has many improvements which were merged into the code over an entire year.
Last edited by vocx on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
h3lium

Post by h3lium »

What I mean to say is, you don't need to get an AppImage from the Majaro repository; you should get the AppImage from FreeCAD directly https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
Cheers mate! Just started the AppImage download of version 0.18! Thanks!